Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Unit wall sleeve

Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

prof.perazzo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Aug 2006 15:59:42 -0700, "prof.perazzo"
wrote:

Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

prof.perazzo

You're ****ing in the wind when trying to match the new unit to the
old casing.
In the time you've already spent measuring and writing this message,
you could have ripped out the old casing and put in a new unit and
patched the difference with putty and joint compound and painted it so
no one would know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

prof.perazzo wrote:
Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

Chances are you won't be able to find a replacement-- you'll have to hand
craft one. Start with a bit of plywood, 26x19. cut out a section of that to
fit your new AC. Attach the AC to the plywood by whatever method you can
conjour. Seal the cracks/gaps with metalized duct tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like general electric needs a phonecall.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"prof.perazzo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

prof.perazzo

Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand is your old unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A Fedders would fit. You need to measure the depth. Probably aren't
any left. Try again next year.
http://www.fedders.com/catalog/appli...ac/fed_ttw.htm

There are probably plenty left but not in local retailers back rooms.
Probably have to find a retailer who is willing to order one only.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

remember that the window units are not interchangeable with wall units:
window units have additional side louvers.
see hvac room air conditioners at: www.hdsupply.com
compare your outlet, cord end, amps, volts.
for example:
FEDDERS THRU THE WALL ROOM AC 'A' CHASSI
Fedders Through-The-Wall Room Air Conditioner "A" Chassis -10,000 BTU -
9.0 EER - 115 Volts - Cabinet Size 27W x 16-3/4 x 16-3/4" - Cooling
Area 450 Square...
A1A10W2D
259112 1+ $449.00
or
FEDDERS THRU THE WALL ROOM AC 'B' CHASSI
Fedders Through-The-Wall Room Air Conditioner "B" Chassis -11,500 BTU -
9.0 EER - 230/208 Volts - Cabinet Size 27W x 19-3/4 x 16-3/4" - Cooling
Area 550 Square...
A1B12W7D
259113 1+ $499.00

prof.perazzo wrote:
Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

prof.perazzo

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the tips, please keep em coming, i will look into all
your ideas and post my outcomes.

prof.perazzo wrote:
Hi folks new to the board, need to replace an OLD AC unit, its thru
wall style, the dimensions of the sleeve are 26 inches wide by 19
inches high. Having a hard time finding a proper replacement and also
need tips on the install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the current unit is 12k btu, so we are trying to stay as close to the
BTU mark as possible.

prof.perazzo

Do I need through wall flashing where roof interests stone wall? lance hirsch Home Repair 2 November 6th 05 09:12 PM
Boiler in wall unit... RzB UK diy 4 September 15th 05 07:05 PM
Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Can't find wall unit like this in US: [email protected] Home Ownership 6 September 8th 05 06:40 PM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM