Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Can't find wall unit like this in US:

I have been looking for a wall unit for my home. I want it to be
laminated and to have many doors and/or drawers. I only want a few
open shelves, because I prefer to hide my junk away. I don't like
displaying knick nacks or books, and I don't want to dust open shelves.

After months of searching I found this in germany:
http://www.broecker-moebel.de/wohnko...dukt_id-4.html

I wouldn't buy the units with glass. I found a place in the US that
can order them but they are quite expensive... (~$5000 for 10 feet of
wall) I assume at least partly because they're imported.

Has anyone seen something very similar in the US?
I've looked at Sauder, Bush, O'Sullivan, and Ikea. They either have
too few doors, are too short (I want ~7'+), or are too country/gramdma
looking.

Thanks for any help.
Buzz

Andrew Duane

The brands you mentioned are all very low-end low quality units. I am
not surprised that they don't make what you want.

Any decent furniture place has lots of vendors who make all sorts of
similar units, configured exactly the way you want. Go to places that
specialize either in cabinetry (there are a few around where I live),
or wood furniture (ditto).

wrote:
I have been looking for a wall unit for my home. I want it to be
laminated and to have many doors and/or drawers. I only want a few
open shelves, because I prefer to hide my junk away. I don't like
displaying knick nacks or books, and I don't want to dust open shelves.

After months of searching I found this in germany:
http://www.broecker-moebel.de/wohnko...dukt_id-4.html

I wouldn't buy the units with glass. I found a place in the US that
can order them but they are quite expensive... (~$5000 for 10 feet of
wall) I assume at least partly because they're imported.

Has anyone seen something very similar in the US?
I've looked at Sauder, Bush, O'Sullivan, and Ikea. They either have
too few doors, are too short (I want ~7'+), or are too country/gramdma
looking.

Thanks for any help.
Buzz

DrLith

I have been looking for a wall unit for my home. I want it to be
laminated and to have many doors and/or drawers. I only want a few
open shelves, because I prefer to hide my junk away. I don't like
displaying knick nacks or books, and I don't want to dust open shelves.

After months of searching I found this in germany:
http://www.broecker-moebel.de/wohnko...dukt_id-4.html

I wouldn't buy the units with glass. I found a place in the US that
can order them but they are quite expensive... (~$5000 for 10 feet of
wall) I assume at least partly because they're imported.

Has anyone seen something very similar in the US?
I've looked at Sauder, Bush, O'Sullivan, and Ikea. They either have
too few doors, are too short (I want ~7'+), or are too country/gramdma
looking.

Thanks for any help.
Buzz

I can't believe you can't put together what you want from IKEA units, if
that's an option for you. They have modular shelving units with door
unit options, and all you would need to do is piece togethe your entire
unit out of all door/drawer elements.

So, for example, you've got the DOCENT line, and you pick up 3 tall
shelf units (http://tinyurl.com/8cyen) and as many solid doors
(http://tinyurl.com/9fagg) and inset drawers (http://tinyurl.com/bwg7o)
as you want. The resulting unit would look something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/9ejvh, except it'd be 3 units wide instead of 2, and
with solid doors instead of glass, and with all doors on top rather than
half doored, half open shelving.

You can achieve the same flexible design with any of their modular
storage unit lines. The only trick is, you order the base units you
want, and then get enough doors or drawers to fill them. You don't need
to limit yourself to their suggested combinations. Doors and drawers are
relatively expensive, but you still should be able to get 7'+ of
shelving unit for less than $1,500.

If you couldn't find these options on the IKEA web site, though, I don't
blame you. I don't think their site is well designed, and it's hard to
find stuff if you don't know what you're looking for. The best thing is
to have a copy of their print catalog. The next best thing is to look at
the online version of the print catalog.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/virtual...g_splash2.html

The price listings for shelving/storage components begins on p. 130
Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/03/05 09:29 am DrLith tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

snip

But keep in mind that IKEA stores are not nearly as widespread as HD or
Lowe's. E.g., although ChicagoLand is about to get its second one, some
states don't even have one yet. They may ship almost anywhere, but the
minimum shipping charge to MI (for example) is $250, IIRC.

Perce

Laszlo Curious

I have been looking for a wall unit for my home. I want it to be
laminated and to have many doors and/or drawers. I only want a few
open shelves, because I prefer to hide my junk away. I don't like
displaying knick nacks or books, and I don't want to dust open shelves.

After months of searching I found this in germany:
http://www.broecker-moebel.de/wohnko...dukt_id-4.html

I wouldn't buy the units with glass. I found a place in the US that
can order them but they are quite expensive... (~$5000 for 10 feet of
wall) I assume at least partly because they're imported.

If you have California Closets or Closet Factory nearby, they can build you
what you want from modular pieces. Laminate finishes are available.

http://www.californiaclosets.com/
http://www.closetfactory.com/about/
also:
http://www.closetstogo.com/

and I'm sure there are others like these.

Laszlo

I did have some problems finding stuff on ikea's site. Thanks for
taking the time to share the DOCENT line with me. The fact that there
is no ikea near me and I don't like the look of these pieces. The long
metal handles remind me of 60's/70's styles... kind of trendy.

Buzz