Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window AC in a through wall sleeve

For anyone out there with AC installation experience, is it possible
to use a window AC unit in a through-wall sleeve? I purchased a
through wall unit, but it is smaller than the current one I have in
there by about 2 in x 3 in, and I am not sure about the depth.

If I can, what do I need to do do modify the window one.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 1:10 am, wrote:
For anyone out there with AC installation experience, is it possible
to use a window AC unit in a through-wall sleeve? I purchased a
through wall unit, but it is smaller than the current one I have in
there by about 2 in x 3 in, and I am not sure about the depth.

If I can, what do I need to do do modify the window one.

Thanks.

I know you can't use a window unitt hrough a sleeve because of grille
designs on the side of the unit, thus the sleeve will block the
grills, but I don't know about using a wall unit through a window. I
can't see why not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have me very confused.

You bought a "through the wall". I would interpret this as a
motel type unit about 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall. It is smaller
than what is there now. Motel type units come with their own
"sleeve", pull out the old one, use the new one, close the hole
around the new sleeve with foam, insulation, trim, whatever.

You ask about a window unit. These units are designed with an
indoor and separate outdoor portion. As long as the outdoor
portion is outdoors, you can install in any appropriately sized
hole. It again comes with it's own "sleeve" , close the hole down
to the sleeve.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
ups.com...
For anyone out there with AC installation experience, is it
possible
to use a window AC unit in a through-wall sleeve? I purchased a
through wall unit, but it is smaller than the current one I have
in
there by about 2 in x 3 in, and I am not sure about the depth.

If I can, what do I need to do do modify the window one.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You ask about a window unit. These units are designed with an
indoor and separate outdoor portion. As long as the outdoor
portion is outdoors, you can install in any appropriately sized
hole. It again comes with it's own "sleeve" , close the hole down
to the sleeve.

A window unit has grills on the side of the chassis as well as the
rear. If you block the side grills, you will cause the unit to not
operate correctly and it will short cycle. I already know this from
experience. I tried using a known good working window unit in a wall
sleeve, and it never worked right. I ended up getting another wall
unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 1:10 am, wrote:
For anyone out there with AC installation experience, is it possible
to use a window AC unit in a through-wall sleeve? I purchased a
through wall unit, but it is smaller than the current one I have in
there by about 2 in x 3 in, and I am not sure about the depth.

If I can, what do I need to do do modify the window one.

Thanks.

What is the dimensions of the sleeve? Most units like Friedrich or
Fedders are manufactured to fit existing sleeves.