RobR

Default converting a sleeve air conditioner to a window

just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

Greg O

"RobR" wrote in message
just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

If you have the sleeve it is no problem. Mount a couple of angle irons top
and bottom so it will not fall out the window, and fill in the sides with
plywood or Styrofoam.
Greg

toller

just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

If this is an older model, why screw with it? Window airconditioners have
gotten pretty cheap and efficient.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- toller -
If this is an older model, why screw with it? Window airconditioners

have
gotten pretty cheap ...

- Nehmo -
But not cheaper than free.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

PrecisionMachinisT

"Greg O" wrote in message

"RobR" wrote in message
just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

If you have the sleeve it is no problem. Mount a couple of angle irons top
and bottom so it will not fall out the window, and fill in the sides with
plywood or Styrofoam.
Greg

Hi Greg,

Just a heads up.......

Seems obvious from his post that he doesn't have the sleeve and is looking
for some alternative.....

--

SVL

Mikepier

If this is an older model, why screw with it? Window airconditioners have
gotten pretty cheap and efficient.

I agree. I was just at Home Depot this morning and its amazing how
cheap they are. Besides, the sleeve unit might not be good for the
windows being too heavy. The new window units are a lot lighter.

willshak

On 6/10/2005 10:15 PM US(ET), RobR took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

just wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing available.
my mother in law is giving us a 10,000 BTU ac but it's an
in wall unit and we dont have a sleeve in the house, so want
to stick it in a window.

model is a frigidaire WAH106H1T
(a google search turns up absolutely nothing on
any model beginning with WA, they all seem
to start with FAxxxxxxxx)

thanks!

I had a 10k btu sleeve unit in a window for many years before I got
central air. I built a 3/4" plywood platform that attached to the window
sill in the window track with two long screws, and 2x2 wooden legs that
rested against the vinyl siding with a 2x2 brace between the legs
attached to the ends so that the 2x2 ends were not pressing against the
siding. Allow a little slant to the platform for water runoff. From the
side it had a triangle shape. I cut out two triangles out of 1/2"
plywood that braced the legs to the platform. I then used two pieces of
plywood to fill the gaps on either side of the unit in the window
opening. Used the usual foam insulation to prevent air leaks. You may
have to stick a piece oif foam under the unit to prevent air leakage
there. I painted the whole platform white for weatherproofing and asthetics.
After taking it out for the winter, the only visible evidence that it
was there were the two screw holes in the window sill, but since they
were in the window track, they were only visible when the window was open.

--
Bill
Greg O

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"RobR" wrote in message
[...]

I re-read it, my mistake. May as well toss it with out the wall sleeve.
Greg

RobR

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for this response and all the others. i think with the price of air
conditioners being what they are and the construction of this house
where we are renting (windows are 100+ years old and the casings are house
for that matter are falling apart) and the fact this window is 25' off the
ground,
we'll just buy a $100 5.6K BTU unit at home depot.