Posted to alt.home.repair

Default icynene foam insulation

We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer. Does the icynene work on
roofs or only attics? It can get as cold as -50 here and when the
heat goes thru the ceiling we need to have it stopped before it gets
to the cold of the metal. Please advise

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 3:13 pm, wrote:
We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer.

If you can stand to have the ceiling dropped 4" or so, you could put
up drywall separated with 2x4 from the present ceiling, and fill the
air space with insulation.

roofs or only attics? It can get as cold as -50 here and when the
heat goes thru the ceiling we need to have it stopped before it gets
to the cold of the metal. Please advise

Where do you get condensation? I'd think it'd be inside the house, not
between the ceiling and the metal roof. In that case, the warm air has
to be stopped before it gets to the present ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 2:46 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer. Does the icynene work on
roofs or only attics? It can get as cold as -50 here and when the
heat goes thru the ceiling we need to have it stopped before it gets
to the cold of the metal. Please advise

Well, it will work, but it will only be 2 inches. That may or may not
be sufficient to fix the problem. In Northern NY I would think that only 2
inches even icynene would be minimal at best. It is possible to add more
above the current roof or below. I would want a second opinion from someone
in the business in the area. It just seems like you may regret not doing
more.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

I dont know what R value icynene is but there is R 7.5 foam from
Honywell, R 75 would be great if you could do it, code for my area
zone 5 is r35 but codes are minimums and outdated, Id say R 40 would
be a minimum , I have R 100. Doing all that work and not putting in
enough R would be a waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

I dont know what R value icynene is but there is R 7.5 foam from
Honywell, R 75 would be great if you could do it, code for my area
zone 5 is r35 but codes are minimums and outdated, Id say R 40 would
be a minimum , I have R 100. Doing all that work and not putting in
enough R would be a waste.

Icynene is only R3.5/inch, but doesn't offgas and doesn't shrink as it ages.

Just curious...did you calculate the payoff period for R100 over R50?

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

if it were mine I would have a regular (not vaulted) ceiling put in
and insulate the crap out of it. My second best choice is the drop
ceiling with lots of insulatino. 2" of insulation is everly
inadequate in NY. I'd want at least 12" of insulation, but since you
most likely have the space I'd want something much greater than that
even.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 14, 4:13 pm, wrote:
We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer. Does the icynene work on
roofs or only attics? It can get as cold as -50 here and when the
heat goes thru the ceiling we need to have it stopped before it gets
to the cold of the metal. Please advise

Why wouldn't you blow in cellulose instead?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
On Jun 14, 4:13 pm, wrote:

We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer.

Why wouldn't you blow in cellulose instead?

One advantage to many of the spray foams is that they also act as a
vapour barrier. This is useful for retrofit work as it can often be
difficult to install a proper vapour barrier after the fact.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 16, 1:48 am, Chris Friesen wrote:
Pat wrote:
On Jun 14, 4:13 pm, wrote:

We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer.

Why wouldn't you blow in cellulose instead?

One advantage to many of the spray foams is that they also act as a
vapour barrier. This is useful for retrofit work as it can often be
difficult to install a proper vapour barrier after the fact.

Chris

Yes, but he's in upstate NY and blow in is much more common.