Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default icynene foam insulation

On Jun 14, 2:46 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
We live in Northern New York. Our home has cathedral ceilings with no
air space to the metal roofing, in the winter we get severe
condensation and leaking. We were told that removing the metal roof
and having the spray foam put in then a 2" air space, plywood and
metal roof put back on would be the answer. Does the icynene work on
roofs or only attics? It can get as cold as -50 here and when the
heat goes thru the ceiling we need to have it stopped before it gets
to the cold of the metal. Please advise

Well, it will work, but it will only be 2 inches. That may or may not
be sufficient to fix the problem. In Northern NY I would think that only 2
inches even icynene would be minimal at best. It is possible to add more
above the current roof or below. I would want a second opinion from someone
in the business in the area. It just seems like you may regret not doing
more.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

I dont know what R value icynene is but there is R 7.5 foam from
Honywell, R 75 would be great if you could do it, code for my area
zone 5 is r35 but codes are minimums and outdated, Id say R 40 would
be a minimum , I have R 100. Doing all that work and not putting in
enough R would be a waste.