Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears entry doors

Hi all.

Has anyone had any experience with Sears custom entry doors? I just
setup an appointment with them (Sears) as one of my options. I am
looking to replace my old 80x60 entry system, and having trouble
finding close size. Was turned down by Pella, and it looks like no
luck with Therma-tru either.

The Sears representative called me from Orlando(!) while I am in NJ.
He had very little information about the doors, except that they are
steel doors, and no pricing info at all.

I wonder if this even worth it... Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't let Sears touch anything in my house. They don't have their own
installation crews, they sub out their work to anyone with a little
experience, tools, a van, and who would shell out a couple of dollars for
insurance. Usually these characters can't make it on their own due to
shoddy workmanship and/or bad word of mouth. But Sears will take them to do
their work, but you better believe the subs will take whatever shortcuts
they can to get in and get out in a hurry and leave you scratching you head.
Sears goal is a numbers game, if they can get as much work as possible
paying bottom dollar to some **** poor handyman to do the work, they might
get away with minimal callbacks to repair the mess their "installers"
created in the first place. Just my two cents....

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all.

Has anyone had any experience with Sears custom entry doors? I just
setup an appointment with them (Sears) as one of my options. I am
looking to replace my old 80x60 entry system, and having trouble
finding close size. Was turned down by Pella, and it looks like no
luck with Therma-tru either.

The Sears representative called me from Orlando(!) while I am in NJ.
He had very little information about the doors, except that they are
steel doors, and no pricing info at all.

I wonder if this even worth it... Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
I wouldn't let Sears touch anything in my house. They don't have their own
installation crews, they sub out their work to anyone with a little
experience, tools, a van, and who would shell out a couple of dollars for
insurance. Usually these characters can't make it on their own due to
shoddy workmanship and/or bad word of mouth. But Sears will take them to
do their work, but you better believe the subs will take whatever shortcuts
they can to get in and get out in a hurry and leave you scratching you
head. Sears goal is a numbers game, if they can get as much work as
possible paying bottom dollar to some **** poor handyman to do the work,
they might get away with minimal callbacks to repair the mess their
"installers" created in the first place. Just my two cents....

My two cents as well. But, it's not just Sears. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
all use the same model. Subs with no significant track record.

Then, you get a shoddy job and you spend endless hours trying to resolve the
problem. BEWARE!

child-proofing entry doors CathyLee Home Repair 12 October 28th 06 06:37 PM
entry doors oldbones Woodworking 1 May 18th 06 01:00 AM
Convert Bi-Fold Doors to Small French Doors Marc Woodworking 5 December 12th 05 08:21 PM
Fiberglass vs. steel entry doors? Al Bundy Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 01:28 PM
Painting or otherwise finishing cabinet doors in some form of white (also distressing doors) Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 03:13 PM