Posted to rec.woodworking
oldbones

Default entry doors

I plan to make a set of entry doors to replace those on our elderly
church. Oak, with raised panels. I've done many such projects in the
past, but never for outside use. There'll surely be some rain
exposure, and the water will enter between the bottom of any panel and
its rail. In time, I'm afraid, rotting should occur. The present
doors have silicone caulking at those joints, and while generally in
bad shape are at least not rotted. I don't like that as a solution,
however, although I suppose with care it might not show. I should, I
suppose, finish all the pieces, including the dadoes as well as the
panels, with the spar varnish I plan to use, before assembly. I've
considered drilling holes from the bottom of the horizontal dadoes to
the ones below, or to the bottom of the door for the lower panels, so
that water would not pool. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

"oldbones" wrote...
I plan to make a set of entry doors to replace those on our elderly
church. Oak, with raised panels.
Any suggestions?

Red oak has poor weather resistance, white oak has excellent weather
resistance. Never heard of using drain holes before, but it seems like a
good idea.

Use plenty of heavy brass hinges with white oak doors - it's very heavy.

Sturdiest old doors I've come across had no glue - they were simply
properly mortised and tennoned and pinned. Seems to me like that would be
stronger for exterior doors, as the wood movement wouldn't be fighting the
glue lines.

Silicone around the panels could trap moisture, and would make routine
varnishing a bit of a hassle.

My recommendation: white oak, pinned mortise and tennons, drainage holes in
the rail bottoms, and space balls around the panels for extra air
circulation + room for panel movement. A nice warm oak stain and well
varnished.

Sounds like fun! Wish I was makin' 'em.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
Fiberglass vs. steel entry doors? Al Bundy Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 01:28 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM