Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

Default entry doors

"oldbones" wrote...
I plan to make a set of entry doors to replace those on our elderly
church. Oak, with raised panels.
Any suggestions?

Red oak has poor weather resistance, white oak has excellent weather
resistance. Never heard of using drain holes before, but it seems like a
good idea.

Use plenty of heavy brass hinges with white oak doors - it's very heavy.

Sturdiest old doors I've come across had no glue - they were simply
properly mortised and tennoned and pinned. Seems to me like that would be
stronger for exterior doors, as the wood movement wouldn't be fighting the
glue lines.

Silicone around the panels could trap moisture, and would make routine
varnishing a bit of a hassle.

My recommendation: white oak, pinned mortise and tennons, drainage holes in
the rail bottoms, and space balls around the panels for extra air
circulation + room for panel movement. A nice warm oak stain and well
varnished.

Sounds like fun! Wish I was makin' 'em.

--
Timothy Juvenal