Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior paint that includes primer with finish coat

Home Depot sells a Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint that in a single can
combines a primer with the finish coat. (May be other brands out there,
too.) While the concept is certainly attractive, can we expect it to
work as well as separate coats? The literature touts nanotechnology in
the formulation. What about proven durability? (Since nanotechnology is
so new, I wonder what kind of accelerated tests the paint underwent to
simulate real world conditions.) Anyone have first-hand experience with
this product or other similar ones?

I'm planning to paint the outside of my home. Most of the shingles are
asbestos, the others are wood shingles. Fascia boards are a mix of real
wood and pressed paper! (Thanks, Levitt and Sons.) The soffits are a mix
of pressed paper and exterior and interior plywood. The house was built
in 1967 and everything has been painted many times, except for the
soffits and fascias that I replaced last week (with real wood).

For the curious: Those pressed paper fascia boards and soffits are
dimensionally identical to standard wood sizes. If all the previous
homeowners had kept them well painted for the past 40 years, they would
have stood up to the elements remarkably well.

Thanks for your comments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

Home Depot sells a Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint that in a single can
combines a primer with the finish coat.

I painted some bare wood with the semi-gloss version last month. I was
very surprised to get decent results with a single coat. As for
durability, I have no idea how long it will last.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 9:52 pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
Ray K wrote:
Home Depot sells a Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint that in a single can
combines a primer with the finish coat.

I painted some bare wood with the semi-gloss version last month. I was
very surprised to get decent results with a single coat. As for
durability, I have no idea how long it will last.

--
Tony Sivori

painting bare wood is 2 coats, solid color stain can be done one, Is
there a warranty on that stuff that includes labor, no. Alot of new
product claims fail and are changed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Many old pressed paper wood products did not hold up because the glue became
edible by microorgansims especially in the south no matter how much you
painted them.

"Ray K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ray K wrote:
Home Depot sells a Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint that in a single can
combines a primer with the finish coat. (May be other brands out there,
too.) While the concept is certainly attractive, can we expect it to
work as well as separate coats? The literature touts nanotechnology in
the formulation. What about proven durability? (Since nanotechnology is
so new, I wonder what kind of accelerated tests the paint underwent to
simulate real world conditions.) Anyone have first-hand experience with
this product or other similar ones?

A. Only time will tell.
B. It's a new product, only time will tell.
C. Probably the standard ASTM tests plus whatever Behr does in their own
development.
D. Undoubtedly you'll not be the first to actually buy it but since it's
fairly new see A) and B).

Asking for something that isn't yet known and won't be for a while yet...