Mike Fields

Default best spray paint (and primer) for exterior steel ?

Greetings all -- we have been building some park benches for my
son's Eagle project. Frames are welded 1-1/2 * 2/1/2 steel with
composite deck boards for the seat and back rest. I have tried
some Rustoleum spray paint (after making sure the steel was clean),
but am not happy with the way it can be chipped off. Years ago,
we used a product called "Ferrothane" that really worked well, no
primer needed and 10 years after you painted something and left
it outside, almost no problem. What are people using these days
that gives good results and comes in spray cans. I remember
Ernie was after plasticote, but not sure how that holds up in the
elements. What have people found that works well (including
primer). We can't afford to go get stuff like that POR 15, but
would like to put something on that will last and hold well since
these benches are going to be out in the rain/snow.

Thanks
mikey

woodworker88

Best thing would be to get them powdercoated. Too bad you're kinda
short on money. Perhaps you could go to a powdercoat shop and see if
they'll donate/discount the work. Our robotics team wanted to get the
robot powdercoated bright blue (our team color) and the guy was willing
to discount a $200 job to $50. And your project is much more community
service oriented!

JohnM

Mike Fields wrote:
[...]

I get good results with the basic tractor supply paint. I thin both
primer and paint pretty hard with acetone.. I've tried lacquer thinner
but I think the enamel doesn't like alcohol..

John
Roger Shoaf

Look for hammerrite paint. That stuff is pretty good for ease of
application and needs no primer. It will even overcoat tightly adhering
rust.

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Mike Fields" wrote in message
[...]

Steve W.

Wipe the steel down with lacquer thinner, Give them a coat of zinc rich
primer, then top coat with truck bed liner coating. You can buy it in
spray cans or gallons at the local Wal~Mart. Put on clean primer it
dries to a TOUGH coating that should take almost any abuse that comes
along.

--
Steve Williams

[...]

Waynemak

I used this stuff for a ramp into my shed it has lasted very good so far. I
bought it at True Value
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Look for hammerrite paint. That stuff is pretty good for ease of
application and needs no primer. It will even overcoat tightly adhering
rust.

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
[...]

Mike Fields

Thanks for the ideas people -- I think I will get a couple of cans
of stuff that has been suggested and give them a try to see which
works best. The good primer with pickup bed spray over it sounds
interesting. Time to go shopping !!

thanks, mikey

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
[...]

carl mciver

I used it on a set of wheels for one of my cars. About ten years later
it's starting to thin in places. What actually removes it is the Castrol
Super Clean I use to get the brake dust off. I'd use it again in a
heartbeat, and have several cans in my flammables fridge.

"Waynemak" wrote in message
| I used this stuff for a ramp into my shed it has lasted very good so far.
| bought it at True Value
| "Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
| Look for hammerrite paint. That stuff is pretty good for ease of
| application and needs no primer. It will even overcoat tightly adhering
| rust.
|
| http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44
|
| --
|
| Roger Shoaf
|
| About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
| then
| they come up with this striped stuff.
|

| "Mike Fields" wrote in message
| Greetings all -- we have been building some park benches for my
| son's Eagle project. Frames are welded 1-1/2 * 2/1/2 steel with
| composite deck boards for the seat and back rest. I have tried
| some Rustoleum spray paint (after making sure the steel was clean),
| but am not happy with the way it can be chipped off. Years ago,
| we used a product called "Ferrothane" that really worked well, no
| primer needed and 10 years after you painted something and left
| it outside, almost no problem. What are people using these days
| that gives good results and comes in spray cans. I remember
| Ernie was after plasticote, but not sure how that holds up in the
| elements. What have people found that works well (including
| primer). We can't afford to go get stuff like that POR 15, but
| would like to put something on that will last and hold well since
| these benches are going to be out in the rain/snow.
|
| Thanks
| mikey

~Roy~

If you have spray painting capability why not use some automotive
enamel. Valspar makesa a very good economical line of paint, as do
other companies, which is as good as any automotive finish would
be........and its made to be outside since its automotive paint. Its
just a plain alkylyd based (sp?) enamel paint.

"The original frugal ponder"