Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drip Irrigation Inputs Please.

Hiya,
I've about had it with the black plastic tubing approach to drip irrigation.
I'm constantly having to fiddle with fittings and such as they tend to leak.
I was thinking about a different approach and was hoping for some opinions.
I'm looking at running PVC, Sch. 40 say a couple of inches below the
surface. Then tapping into that with brass barbed adapters that would
screw into the PVC. From there, I can run short lengths of the small black
tubing to the emitters etc. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 3:41 pm, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

I'm looking at running PVC, Sch. 40 say a couple of inches below the
surface. Then tapping into that with brass barbed adapters that would
screw into the PVC. From there, I can run short lengths of the small black
tubing to the emitters etc. Any thoughts?

Don't know about that screwing into PVC approach, sounds like it might
be a little leak-prone too. Have to admit to never trying it though.

A little googling got me to this page:
http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/sprinkdrip.php#tiptop

The basic concept seems sound: run PVC sprinkler pipe, come up to the
surface with a standard 1/2 inch cutoff riser, then screw on one of
their adapters to transition to the 1/4 inch drip tubing. They even
sell an 8-output drip head with individual flow adjustments for each
output.

Maybe something like that would work for you.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya,
I've about had it with the black plastic tubing approach to drip
irrigation. I'm constantly having to fiddle with fittings and such as they
tend to leak.
I was thinking about a different approach and was hoping for some
opinions. I'm looking at running PVC, Sch. 40 say a couple of inches below
the surface. Then tapping into that with brass barbed adapters that
would screw into the PVC. From there, I can run short lengths of the
small black tubing to the emitters etc. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
cc

One thing you did not mention, and a lot of people are unaware of is
........................ a pressure reducer. EVERY system needs a filter and
a pressure reducer. When the system kicks on ......... BAM! ...........
it's hit with a shock of full pressure water. This causes leaks or just
blows the connection all together. A pressure reducer eliminates that
shock. They can be really cheap affairs, or better quality ones can be had.
You will still have the same flow, it's just that your system won't be
getting hit with instantaneous shocks.

Try one. It may solve your whole problem.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

thanks Jerry. I may look into that a bit more.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
One thing you did not mention, and a lot of people are unaware of is
....................... a pressure reducer. EVERY system needs a filter
and a pressure reducer. When the system kicks on ......... BAM!
........... it's hit with a shock of full pressure water. This causes
leaks or just blows the connection all together. A pressure reducer
eliminates that shock. They can be really cheap affairs, or better
quality ones can be had. You will still have the same flow, it's just that
your system won't be getting hit with instantaneous shocks.

Try one. It may solve your whole problem.

Steve

Yup. Got them on the current system and would need to install them on this
setup as well.
Cheers,
cc