Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Pondering Drip Irrigation Setup

Hiya Folks,
Wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the group about drip irrigation.
There's no doubt I'll be doing it it's just a matter of how at this point.
I've seen what appears to be the standard install which involves laying out
a black plastic tube from a roll in your irrigated area and from that, run
smaller tubes to emitters. I've put some of this in myself and hate it.
The fittings (slide on compression type) come loose, leak, and dealing with
the tube is a pain in the neck. I was thinking of running Sch. 40 PVC
either on the ground or just below ground (pipe would be covered either way
in mulch, prolly pea gravel) and using fittings like these,
http://www.sprinkler.com/buy/item/po..._fittings/8028 (essentially a
barbed fitting with 10-32 threads on the opposite end of the barb). It
means I'd have to drill and tap holes in the PVC wherever I needed a drip
line and I'd have to add a pressure regulator somewhere but neither of those
things are show stoppers, I think. I'm just wondering if anyone has any
experience with this setup or reasons I shouldn't pursue it?

Thanks much,
jlc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

I did one myself and it works great.

1) low pressure is a key. Pressure regulator is a must. Mine is
attached
to sprinkler valve. Flow regulator turned way down.

2) laser cut drip hoses work great but only on the short distances.

3) Poly / vinyl pipe can expand and contract so freeze is not concern.

Sum all your drip emitters.

Let's say 120/gal hour = 2Gal/min. If your system delivering 10Gal
they will be sliding everywhere....

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Brian" wrote in message
oups.com...

I did one myself and it works great.

1) low pressure is a key. Pressure regulator is a must. Mine is
attached
to sprinkler valve. Flow regulator turned way down.

2) laser cut drip hoses work great but only on the short distances.

3) Poly / vinyl pipe can expand and contract so freeze is not concern.

Sum all your drip emitters.

Let's say 120/gal hour = 2Gal/min. If your system delivering 10Gal
they will be sliding everywhere....

Brian

Thanks Brian. So did you tap off PVC pipe with the smaller 1/4" drip hoses
with a barbed connection as I mentioned or use the Poly pipe for your
"sub-main"? I'm trying to avoid the poly pipe (roughly 3/4" diameter) and
it's connectors. As for a regulator, yeah, I'll be coming off a sprinkler
valve as well so that may suffice for me. I have not seen "laser cut"
drip hoses. I assume these are just 1/4" tubing cut to various lengths for
you? I don't mind so much working with the rolled up stuff. After it's
been in the sun a while, it tends to lay down pretty good. Anyway, thanks
for the help.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
speedbump

You are not talking about drip irrigation. These are microjets. I use
them for my tree farm and they work great. You use 60 or 80 psi poly
pipe. You use a tool to punch a hole in the poly then insert the
fitting you had the link to and attach the rubber hose to that with the
microjet on the end. This fitting is barbed and will go in easy but
won't come out easy and won't leak.

Drip is a special hose that just leaks water.

bob...

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"speedbump" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are not talking about drip irrigation. These are microjets. I use
them for my tree farm and they work great. You use 60 or 80 psi poly
pipe. You use a tool to punch a hole in the poly then insert the
fitting you had the link to and attach the rubber hose to that with the
microjet on the end. This fitting is barbed and will go in easy but
won't come out easy and won't leak.

Drip is a special hose that just leaks water.

bob...

What sort of GPH do these "microjets" operate at? How are they different
from drip irrigation emitters? My whole reason for this post is to avoid
using the poly pipe you punch holes in. I have found it difficult to work
with, leaky, and unreliable (the fittings) so hence am looking to replace it
with PVC and run my drip lines from the PVC. Make sense?
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

Sprinkler system - 1" main line.
After valve reduced to 3/4 ant later to submain 1/2 pvc.

1/2 PVC can deliver 120 GPH at ~25 PSI.

1/4 tubing of 1/2.

Now common emitters 0.6GPH 1GPH 2GPH

We have about 80 ~90 plants, every one get's emitter.

Still plenty of capacity

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
[...]

There are two types, 25 and 50 PSI rated systems, use only rated
pressure emiters for pressure being used.

in either case will want to use pressure regulators, if the size of the
job is small an in-line unit that connects to the faucet is OK, if going
for a more permanent or larger install, use a good quality adjustable
regulate like from watts.

The most important item many overlook, especially when on city water
since usually do not think would matter...

PUT IN A GOOD FILTER

I use a spin down filter 100 micron that allows to be flushed once and a
while on the main supply. Keeping out even the smallest of particles is
a must or may be replacing all those emitters after they get clogged up.

IF a large job, zone out for different watering situations. Keep in mind
even with drip, there are many types of emiters, sprays, misters,
bubblers and still have to be aware of the amount of water each will
supply. If only doing drip, then also will have to size the drip
emitters to the amount of watering needs per plant type.

Sprays, drips, misters and bubblers all supply different amounts of
water to plants for different needs, usually do not want to mix certain
ones on the same zone.

Also mulch plays an important factor when using drip, must maintain
suficient mulch to keep moister from evaporating too quickly.