Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Porch light burns out very fast

The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zmike6" wrote in message
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

Loose wire in the fixture, or the socket itself is loose or corroded, not
making good contact with the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

Sounds like a fault in the fixture. Just what I have no idea.

I cured the 'honey, the porch light is out" calls by replacing all
yard/porch lights with compact flourescents. Changed from crawling a
ladder every 3 or 4 months to a year or more. One fixture has a bulb
that I have only replaced once in 10 years.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zmike6" wrote in message
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

Could easily be the bulb you are putting in or a problem with the fixture.
First, is the bulb in the fixture a base up configuration? If so, be sure
the bulbs you are putting in are rated for that. Also, there is a product
(might be a GE one) that is called "Post Lamp" that are rated for outdoor
use. I've found they do last a lot longer in the lamp post then the
standard incandescent bulbs.

YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:
[...]

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental mess
on the scale of MtBE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental mess
on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a CFL...
Anyone have any details?

As efficient as CFLs are, they are relatively complicated devices. There
must be other solutions out there that doesn't involve such a complicated
device for such a simple task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental
mess
on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a
CFL... Anyone have any details?

As efficient as CFLs are, they are relatively complicated devices. There
must be other solutions out there that doesn't involve such a complicated
device for such a simple task.

I have seen solar powered flood lights, but of course placement is sort of
critical. When you think about it, the standard incandescent is actually
very efficient compared to what was used previously. Much safer for the
environment then previous as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental mess
on the scale of MtBE!- Hide quoted text -

I checked into that. What I read is that ultra-small but measurable
amounts of mercury is contained in the CF bulbs. BUT, Coal-fired
power plants which predominate in the U.S and Canada spew huge
quantities of mercury into the atmospehere and is essentially
everwhere in small quantities now. They say that the power saved by
using those CF's would remove quanties of mercury from the enviroment
that are far, far in excess of the ultra--small quantities of mercury
in these CF's wich can be contained either with specific recycling or
just in landiflls would be safe compared to the poisons these electric
plants spew into the envronment.

I imagine it's all a moot point when the demand for electicithy is
increasing around the world. Electricity is convenient and profitable
and the human race will usually want it where available. I know I am
totally addicted to electricity like most people I rely on it for many
things. Keeping the cost of it down is good for business so it's hard
to be against it. Hell, if it's in the fish then where else is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer wrote:
Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big
environmental mess on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a
CFL... Anyone have any details?

The only thing on the scope that I know of are LED's and I suspect we
will be seeing a lot of them in the next five years. CF's may well go down
and be replaced with LED's.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

zmike6 wrote:
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

Two things tend to burn out lamps early, water and vibration. A leak
somewhere will provide the water. You want to eliminate that. Vibration is
also possible. Is that light near some sort of equipment that may vibrate,
like the garage door? I suggest you may want to try a CF (compact
florescent) or garage door lamp. Both tend to handle vibration better.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Two things tend to burn out lamps early, water and vibration. A leak
somewhere will provide the water. You want to eliminate that. Vibration is
also possible. Is that light near some sort of equipment that may vibrate,
like the garage door? I suggest you may want to try a CF (compact
florescent) or garage door lamp. Both tend to handle vibration better.

Regarding your using the term "burn out"...

I concur with the vibration part, but how does water cause a bulb to
"burn out"?

I can see water corroding electrical connections and maybe those
connections would cause localized heating at the base of the bulb which
could even melt the soldered joint at the base tip and disconnect the
bulb, but that won't make the filament "burn out" will it?

A better term to use have been "fail", not "burn out". G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

[...]

Frankly I have wondered that myself.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Noozer wrote:

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a CFL...
Anyone have any details?

I doubt that. But they do have a technology that is seems to be
about 25% more efficient (for the same or better life).
Unfortunately they deployed it in very few bulbs. The only ones
that I knew of were PAR38 outdoor flood and T3 quartz halogen bulb
to replace 300 watt (used only 225 and put out same light).
Unfortunately, neither seems to be available anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 10:46 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

[...]

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

I went through two floodlight bulbs (flagpole lights) before I
realized that they were not 'burning out' it was the GFI breaker
blowing when rain got into the socket. Now when the light is out, I
check the GFI first.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , zmike6 wrote:
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

One other possibility: What kind of bulbs you are using.

"Standard" 60 watt incandescents are typically rated to last 1,000
hours, and 12 hours a day that means average of 2.5-3 months, some more
and some less.

There are longer life and industrial service and traffic signal versions
of incandescents.

There are also garbage offbrand ones, such as some from dollar stores.
I have seen some dollar store ones from sources who are so bad at having
their act together as to claim the same light output in lumens from at
least 3 different wattages!
Given the performance I have seen from dollar store compact fluorescents
(subpar to lousy to bad to outrageously bad in my experience), I have low
faith in dollar store lightbulbs in general! Maybe better from Dollar Tree
than from other dollar stores, since at Dollar Tree I have seen lack of
"brands" that I have experienced as lousier and lack of (*cough-sputter*)
dollar store compact fluorescents, but I still don't like the idea of a
100 watt incandescent producing less light than a "standard" 75 watt one
with only moderately longer life expectancy than "standard".

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jackson wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the mercury?

If you use one in an area where much of the electricity comes from coal,
a CFL prevents more mercury emission than the amount of mercury that it
contains.

Meanwhile, how could they possibly be some big environmental mess
compared to all the non-compact fluorescents in use in most commercial,
industrial, institutional and government buildings and that found some use
in homes?

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article %V49i.278473$DE1.187072@pd7urf2no, Noozer wrote:

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental mess
on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a CFL...
Anyone have any details?

As efficient as CFLs are, they are relatively complicated devices. There
must be other solutions out there that doesn't involve such a complicated
device for such a simple task.

The efficient GE incandescent has less than half the efficiency of a
CFL. It is HIR, which is halogen with infrared retroflection technology.
An example is a 350 watt tubular halogen with light output close to that
of a 500 watt more-ordinary halogen, or close to that of about 150-170
watts of compact fluorescents.
It improves upon other incandescents and halogens that have 1/3 or less
the efficiency of CFLs.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Joseph Meehan wrote:
Noozer wrote:
Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big
environmental mess on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a
CFL... Anyone have any details?

The only thing on the scope that I know of are LED's and I suspect we
will be seeing a lot of them in the next five years. CF's may well go down
and be replaced with LED's.

This is going to happen, and I like LEDs, but given the rate at which
LEDs have been advancing in efficiency and overall cost-effectiveness I
think it will be at least a decade before most home lighting is done with
LEDs.

LEDs have had incremental advances, so far almost specialty by specialty
for now. They work great in flashlights since they excel in lower wattage
battery-powered applications, and they excel in traffic signals since
incandescents are compromised in efficiency there by long-life design and
color filters removing some of their light while LEDs normally prefer to
specialize in producing colored light.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/4/2007 10:41 PM Harry K said the following:
On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:

[...]

Ditto that. I've replaced almost all 60 watt incandescents in my house
with 13 watt CFLs, including outdoor porch and deck lights. The only
ones not changed were candelabra bulbs and those in dimmer lamps.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/4/2007 11:08 PM Jackson said the following:
"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:

[...]

More than the many millions of office and industry fluorescent lamps
that have been tossed out since they were invented?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/4/2007 11:39 PM Noozer said the following:
Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental mess
on the scale of MtBE!

I hear that GE has an incandesent that is at least as efficient as a CFL...
Anyone have any details?

As efficient as CFLs are, they are relatively complicated devices. There
must be other solutions out there that doesn't involve such a complicated
device for such a simple task.

No one suggested building your own CFLs. It is not complicated to
unscrew an incandescent bulb and replace it with a CFL.
Just make sure you wear protective clothing, eye protection, gloves, ear
plugs, and a gas mask. Be sure to evacuate the whole house before you
replace the bulb in case it breaks, spreading the 4 mg of mercury
throughout the house. Have the local hazardous waste removal service on
standby. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , willshak wrote in part:

Ditto that. I've replaced almost all 60 watt incandescents in my house
with 13 watt CFLs, including outdoor porch and deck lights. The only
ones not changed were candelabra bulbs and those in dimmer lamps.

There is now some availability of candelabra base models. I have seen
these at some online lightbulb sellers in up to 60 watts claimed
incandescent equivalence, and in Lowes at up to 40 watts claimed
incandescent equivalence.

There are dimmable models - I just wish they were more widely available!
There is a dimmable version of the 23 watt Philips SLS.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try a 40 watt bulb, see what happens.
I had the same problem with a kitchen light fixture. Call Home Depot
and see what type of bulb they would recommend.
I knew what I needed when I had a plumbing problem, saved a couple of
$$$$$$ when I called in the plumber.
Nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Uh, mercury is a naturally occurring element. It already was/is everywhere
before power plants started "spewing" it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , Jackson wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
groups.com...
On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:
[...]

A good portion of the fluorescent lighting in use today are the "green"
bulbs, but they still are not mercury free, just lower mercury content.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
on 6/4/2007 11:08 PM Jackson said the following:
"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:

[...]

Exactly, and whose to say that the cause of these supposedly high mercury
levels are not the result of that? Many different types of waste were
mishandled in disposal for many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/6/2007 7:09 PM Don Klipstein said the following:
In article , willshak wrote in part:

Ditto that. I've replaced almost all 60 watt incandescents in my house
with 13 watt CFLs, including outdoor porch and deck lights. The only
ones not changed were candelabra bulbs and those in dimmer lamps.

There is now some availability of candelabra base models. I have seen
these at some online lightbulb sellers in up to 60 watts claimed
incandescent equivalence, and in Lowes at up to 40 watts claimed
incandescent equivalence.

A lot of candelabra bulbs are the clear, decorative type used in
chandeliers and hanging ceiling lamps. I'll have to pass on any CFLs
for those at present, just for aesthetic reasons, because the bulbs are
visible and part of the decorative feature of the lamps.

There are dimmable models - I just wish they were more widely available!
There is a dimmable version of the 23 watt Philips SLS.

- Don Klipstein )

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 9:42 pm, "Jackson" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

before power plants started "spewing" it.- Hide quoted text -

Um, then maybe yu should have an extra portion. Where I live mercury
contamination and poisoning are very real issues. If you are
sarcastic concerning the danger then you deserve for you and you
children to be poisoned. Then you will shut the **** up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]