Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Porch light burns out very fast

"willshak" wrote in message
on 6/4/2007 11:08 PM Jackson said the following:
"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 4, 7:27 pm, zmike6 wrote:

The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

Sounds like a fault in the fixture. Just what I have no idea.

I cured the 'honey, the porch light is out" calls by replacing all
yard/porch lights with compact flourescents. Changed from crawling a
ladder every 3 or 4 months to a year or more. One fixture has a bulb
that I have only replaced once in 10 years.

Harry K

Those compact fluorescents are going to be the next big environmental
mess on the scale of MtBE!

More than the many millions of office and industry fluorescent lamps that
have been tossed out since they were invented?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Exactly, and whose to say that the cause of these supposedly high mercury
levels are not the result of that? Many different types of waste were
mishandled in disposal for many years.