Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Porch light burns out very fast

In article , zmike6 wrote:
The outdoor light adjacent to my garage is burning out bulbs very
fast. It worked fine using the original bulb for more than four
years, then I noticed it would tend to go out sometimes (a light tap
on the fixture would bring it back). Eventually the bulb burned out
completely and I replaced it. The new bulb worked OK for about 6
months then began to exhibit the same behavior until it failed
completely. So I replaced the bulb again and now it's dead after just
3 days. The fixture appears to be designed for typical 60w
incandescent bulbs

If it matters, there is another outdoor light on the same circuit that
does not suffer from rapid failure.

Does this sound like a short, loose wire, corrosion in the fixture?
Is excessive voltage the main thing that can burn out a bulb
prematurely?

One other possibility: What kind of bulbs you are using.

"Standard" 60 watt incandescents are typically rated to last 1,000
hours, and 12 hours a day that means average of 2.5-3 months, some more
and some less.

There are longer life and industrial service and traffic signal versions
of incandescents.

There are also garbage offbrand ones, such as some from dollar stores.
I have seen some dollar store ones from sources who are so bad at having
their act together as to claim the same light output in lumens from at
least 3 different wattages!
Given the performance I have seen from dollar store compact fluorescents
(subpar to lousy to bad to outrageously bad in my experience), I have low
faith in dollar store lightbulbs in general! Maybe better from Dollar Tree
than from other dollar stores, since at Dollar Tree I have seen lack of
"brands" that I have experienced as lousier and lack of (*cough-sputter*)
dollar store compact fluorescents, but I still don't like the idea of a
100 watt incandescent producing less light than a "standard" 75 watt one
with only moderately longer life expectancy than "standard".

- Don Klipstein )