Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on CAC A-coil

I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned
on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out the
system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not as
cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was condensate
dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this normal
operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?

Posted to alt.home.repair

whats cac

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:32 am, wrote:
whats cac

Central air conditioning

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned
on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out the
system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not as
cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was condensate
dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this normal
operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?

How long did it run? It goes from one end to the other at first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 10:23 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

ups.com...I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned
on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out the
system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not as
cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was condensate
dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this normal
operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?

How long did it run? It goes from one end to the other at first.

I would say a good 20 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I turned
on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out the
system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not as
cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was condensate
dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this normal
operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?

The coil should be uniformly cold with all measured air temps leaving
the coil very close to the same.
There may not be an evenly balanced airflow heatload distributed across
the coil.
Partially plugged distributor or coil circuits.

One of the most important things there is for optimal performance, is to
always have an optimal heatload evenly distributed through the E-Coil.
That is a first essential to accurate refrigerant charging of the system
using Superheat or Subcooling for TXVs.
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/ ***
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html ***
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's normal for the upper and lower to be a few degrees
different. If part of the coil is room temp, you may be low on
freon.

If it's cooling the house OK, don't worry about it. Otherwise,
call a HVAC service company.

You may have to upgrade from CAC to EAC, or even FAC. The new
energy standards are much higher. (grin here). I think they
stopped selling BAC in 1994. (wink, wink).

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
: I have a combo furnace with an A-coil mounted on top for CAC. I
turned
: on my unit for the first time yesterday and I was checking out
the
: system, and I noticed that the upper part of the A-coil was not
as
: cold as the lower part. The pipes were cold and there was
condensate
: dripping, it just seemed that lower part was cooler. Is this
normal
: operation? Or should the entire coil be uniformly cold?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 10:03 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
It's normal for the upper and lower to be a few degrees
different. If part of the coil is room temp, you may be low on
freon.

If it's cooling the house OK, don't worry about it. Otherwise,
call a HVAC service company.

Thanks for the info. You mentioned I might be low on freon. Would not
that cause the coil to freeze up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That depends on air flow, metering device, and some other
factors. I've worked on a couple systems which were low on freon,
and got cool at part of the coil, and room temp at part of the
coil.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.