John

Default A/C Coil and Furnace Question

Am replacing furnace with a high efficency American
Standard/Trane furnace, AUY080. The contractor suggested
replacing the evaporator A/C coil while the duct work is being
done inside, and we do plan to replace the outdoor a/c unit soon
(like in the spring).

Question: Does a Trane/A-S coil TXC036C4HPC0 coil have a thermal
expansion valve? If it doesn't (as I suspect) could one be added
-- if that will help the a/c system? Also, what Trane or A/S
outdoor unit would be best suited for this coil?

Thanks!

Zypher

You can check out your TRANE choices he
http://www.trane.com/Residential/Products/Coils.aspx

I'm not a TRANE distributor, but most manufacturer's provide a TXV [Thermal
ExpansionValve] kit to modify the coil if it doesn't have one.

Ask your contractor. It's best to have a experienced HVACR tech install an
service it properly at startup.

--
Zyp
"John" wrote in message ...
Am replacing furnace with a high efficency American
Standard/Trane furnace, AUY080. The contractor suggested
replacing the evaporator A/C coil while the duct work is being
done inside, and we do plan to replace the outdoor a/c unit soon
(like in the spring).

Question: Does a Trane/A-S coil TXC036C4HPC0 coil have a thermal
expansion valve? If it doesn't (as I suspect) could one be added
-- if that will help the a/c system? Also, what Trane or A/S
outdoor unit would be best suited for this coil?

Thanks!

Red Neckerson

"John" wrote in message ...
Am replacing furnace with a high efficency American
Standard/Trane furnace, AUY080. The contractor suggested
replacing the evaporator A/C coil while the duct work is being
done inside, and we do plan to replace the outdoor a/c unit soon
(like in the spring).

Question: Does a Trane/A-S coil TXC036C4HPC0 coil have a thermal
expansion valve? If it doesn't (as I suspect) could one be added
-- if that will help the a/c system? Also, what Trane or A/S
outdoor unit would be best suited for this coil?

It's a 3 ton coil with expansion valve. You could go with jkust about any 3
ton condensing unit.

Why not go ahead and do THAT now too? It'd be cheaper than having them come
back and doing it later.....

m Ransley

Just something you should verify and Im no pro and maybe wrong, but
doesnt the 80 in your model # indicate it is an 80% efficient unit.. If
your installer said that is a high efficiency unit it may not be. High
effeciency units are 93-94.5%

John Hines

"Red Neckerson" wrote:

Why not go ahead and do THAT now too? It'd be cheaper than having them come
back and doing it later.....

Yes and no. In the case of my new setup, they are going to come back in
the spring to setup the AC, when it is warm out, since it isn't a good
idea to run it during the winter. Told me to call them, when the temps
get into the 70's for a couple of days in the spring.

They did install the line set, and everything else, but didn't run the
unit.
TURTLE

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Red Neckerson" wrote:

Why not go ahead and do THAT now too? It'd be cheaper than having them come
back and doing it later.....

Yes and no. In the case of my new setup, they are going to come back in
the spring to setup the AC, when it is warm out, since it isn't a good
idea to run it during the winter. Told me to call them, when the temps
get into the 70's for a couple of days in the spring.

They did install the line set, and everything else, but didn't run the
unit.

This is Turtle.

I would not change a coil inside and then do some major work later on the system
later with a condenser unit and tubing set. When you change one item in the big
three items like the condenser / tubing set / evaperator coil --- You change
everything as one item to have everything matching and set together as one unit.
You would not say hey put me a new trasmission in my car and next year I will
take that transmission and put it in my new car I get next spring. Don't piece a
unit when your going to buy the whole thing soon.

TURTLE

John

TURTLE wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Red Neckerson" wrote:

[...]

I agree that it's best to do everything at once, but what if that is not possible?
For example if a new furnace needs to be installed in the fall (as in you just
bought the house and it needs a new furnace) and you also want a new compressor unit
outside, the ambient temperatures may no longer be warm enough to run a compressor
until spring.

In this case, why would it not be better to figure out what size equipment you need
all around, install the coil now with the new furnace, and do the rest of the a/c
system in the Spring when the unit can be operated and tested. That eliminates the
need to rip apart the new furnace installation in the spring so that the evaporator
coil can be installed.

Oscar_Lives

"John" wrote in message ...
TURTLE wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Red Neckerson" wrote:

[...]

Then don't run the compressor, silly!

You don't need to run it to install it.

John

Oscar_Lives wrote:

"John" wrote in message ...
TURTLE wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Red Neckerson" wrote:

[...]

So what's the point of not waiting until the spring to install the outdoor unit,
since the contractor will have to return to get the proper refrigerant charge
and check out the system when it is operating anyway.

Dr. Hardcrab

"John" wrote

So what's the point of not waiting until the spring to install the outdoor
unit,
since the contractor will have to return to get the proper refrigerant
charge
and check out the system when it is operating anyway.

That's fine if you get a price for it NOW.

Equipment prices are going up after the first of the year (they always do).
AND, if it was MY company, you'd get charged more money for having to make a
second trip....

Oscar_Lives

"John" wrote in message ...
Oscar_Lives wrote:

[...]