Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best belt-sander?

I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
do people here think? Its around $200.

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:
I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
do people here think? Its around $200.

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

I think I would rent a good floor sander.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
| that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
| do people here think? Its around $200.
|
| Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
| about 25x15'.

I like the Bosch belt sander for areas that large,
and the Dewalt (8 hole hook & loop) orbital sander.
the Porta Cable has 5 holes and clogs often (having had one in the past)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been in the business for some years now and over those years our
crew has learned the 3" by 21" Ryobi inline belt sander is probably
the most versatile.

It is as durable as any and being inline you can lay it on it's top
and use it upside down to sand smaller pieces of wood.

The last time I checked it cost around $150.

It is also sold as Craftsman as Ryobi manufacturers it for Sears.

As far as a palm sander (ie 1/4 sheet) goes I had the best luck with
the DeWalt.

Hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 14, 2:55 am, dean wrote:
I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
do people here think? Its around $200.

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

If you're talking about buying this belt sander to do the deck, I
concur w/ renting a floor sander is the only reasonable way.

For a belt sander, it depends--on what you would use it for. My
personal preference is for the center-mount motor for better balance
and 3x24 for size -- that's for things like cabinet faces, table tops,
etc. That size is small enough for control yet big enough for
reasonable removal rate plus stability. The platen size is also large
enough to make them relatively easy to avoid making hills and valleys
in the work as well.

My all-time favorite was the B&D but they quit making it some time ago
and I've yet to find another as well balanced and comfortable to use. :
( I have the Makita low-profile model now (forget the number) and
it's not bad, but not nearly as well balanced. The new 3-wheel DeWalt
is nice looking idea, but it's only 3x21 -- too short imo. The P-C
beasties are simply too big and clunky for the way I want to use one
often although they are super strong.

In short, need more info for real good suggestions...obtw, if opt for
3", you have to be careful to examine the individual sander(s)
thoroughly -- a lot of them now are 4" models w/ nothing changed but
the rollers and platen so they are very awkward with an extra inch of
sander in width but no belt/platen for it. Consequently, they can't
even come close to the edge of an inside bookcase, for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

Rent a drum sander for a 1/2 day. The are made for hardwood floor finishing.

-Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 14, 5:49 am, "3G" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com...
| I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
| that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
| do people here think? Its around $200.
|
| Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
| about 25x15'.

I like the Bosch belt sander for areas that large,
and the Dewalt (8 hole hook & loop) orbital sander.
the Porta Cable has 5 holes and clogs often (having had one in the past)

Having at least three of the P-C ROS 5-hole variety, I'll avow as to
having one "clog" has never been an issue...no idea what would have
been the usage and/or paper to cause such a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
do people here think? Its around $200.

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

Dewalt and Porter-Cable are fine but I would rather have a Milwaukee but its
more like $300.

For 25' x 15', a hand sander will take you all day long down on you knees.
Use a walk behind floor sander as suggested elsewhere. You could flip the
deck boards over and sometimes its like new - done that. You could also use
a thickness planner - done that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 May 2007 00:55:50 -0700, dean wrote:

I'm looking for a hand sander, generally I buy Dewalt, but I think
that the porta cable model might be the better choice this time. What
do people here think? Its around $200.

Also, is there a better way to sand a deck? I have to do an area now
about 25x15'.

A floor sander will make quick work of most of the deck, rent one. For
other parts, a belt sander will work well. I have a Ryobi 3x21, paid
$99 for it at the BORG. Take time to go over the deck and sink any
exposed nail heads. A dust mask will help your lungs.