Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What wiring codes say about these wires?

I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 1:19 am, Joseph wrote:
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

wow....i am unsure if you are qualified to perform this job...wearing
gloves does not protect you from shock, or burning your garage down.
please seek qualified help. I dont want to see anyone getting hurt
and this operation would not be very expensive for a qualified
electrician to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph wrote:
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Sorry, but you need to know a lot more than it appears you know to do
that job. We have no way of knowing what those wires are from your
description.

Note: you need more than just some wires that will give you 120V, but
you need wires that are on a circuit that can handle the additional load you
might be adding. I suggest a pro for his job.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
|I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
| is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
| in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
| ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
| barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
| these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
| of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
| careful, where gloves etc. Thx

get a tester and see if anything is live
if so...........................call electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You don't necessarily have a 120 volt feed in the box, even though you
probably have live wires. There are a number of possibilities, that could
cause problems if you tap into these wires, or do so incorrectly. Find
someone with some experience, and can determine what you have in the box. If
you do have a 120 volt "feed", installing a GFCI outlet is an easy enough
thing to do

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph wrote:
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

You've hit a surveillance camera feed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 May 2007 23:19:50 -0700, Joseph wrote:

I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

It is hard to tell from here, but if the cable is shielded, it sounds
like you have some low voltage stuff. Maybe for a phone, doorbell, or
security. This wire is usually so small that you can bend it with
your finger. You will not be able to use it for power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Nobody called you a troll! Good going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:27 am, Terry wrote:
On 12 May 2007 23:19:50 -0700, Joseph wrote:

I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

It is hard to tell from here, but if the cable is shielded, it sounds
like you have some low voltage stuff. Maybe for a phone, doorbell, or
security. This wire is usually so small that you can bend it with
your finger. You will not be able to use it for power.

By shielded the OP means jacketed. Plastic encased as opposed to bare
copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph wrote:
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

The only wires you can deal with here are the pink and the
orange/purple/yellow striped wires. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE
OTHERS!

Twist the pink and the striped wires into a figure eight
coupler and then lead off of that for your outlet.

REMEMBER NOT TO TOUCH ANY WIRES OF ANY OTHER COLORS!

If any of these instructions are confusing, then I would
suggest a professional electrician as this can be quite
dangerous for those with feeble electrical skills or minds.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there lighting? If incandescent, just get a screw-in adapter. If
fluorescent, open up the fixture and check on the ballast that it's
120 volts. Turn off the light at the circuit breaker and then add your
wires.

Joseph wrote:
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

This is an underground garage. Which means it is probably in an apartment
building or condo development. These are not your wires to touch, they
belong to the building. They could be for anything such as lighting, etc.
They probably are at the NEC limit for capacity. You cannot just start
adding outlets and plugging in tools. Your description is so poor, some
words misspelt so bad that I don't know what you are saying. Your knowledge
of wiring seems to be as bad as your spelling. Leave well enough alone.
Don't touch anything. You'll live longer.

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 12 May 2007 23:19:50 -0700, Joseph wrote:

I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools.

Isn't it funhy? Use to be, hand tools were the tools one couldn't
plug in.

Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V,

Probably none. Household AC does not have shielded wire. Get a pro to do
this, it sounds like you don't know how to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:27 am, Terry wrote:
On 12 May 2007 23:19:50 -0700, Joseph wrote:

I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx

It is hard to tell from here, but if the cable is shielded, it sounds
like you have some low voltage stuff. Maybe for a phone, doorbell, or
security. This wire is usually so small that you can bend it with
your finger. You will not be able to use it for power.

You are right I was able to bend it and it takes on teh new shape
where you have bent it. Unlike the flexible type that just spring
back to the old shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:22 am, Robert Allison wrote:
Joseph wrote:
[...]

I am not sure what you meant by "the pink" (I think you mean RED?).
Also what did you mean by "the orange/purple/yellow striped wires". I
am adding another picture with the wires labelled A,B,C,D can you
point out which one you are referring to.
http://www.geocities.com/corvette_2050/connector3.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 May 2007 22:10:32 -0700, Joseph wrote:

I am not sure what you meant by "the pink" (I think you mean RED?).
Also what did you mean by "the orange/purple/yellow striped wires". I
am adding another picture with the wires labelled A,B,C,D can you
point out which one you are referring to.
http://www.geocities.com/corvette_2050/connector3.jpg

I thought you gave up on this.

A to C B to C D to C Should all give you 120V A to C could
be 190V this would be the hi leg.

A to B B to D D to A will all give you either 240V or 208V

If you do get something similar to these readings, you could use B to
C or D to C for a 120V outlet. You can use A to C if it is not 190V.