Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default What wiring codes say about these wires?

You don't necessarily have a 120 volt feed in the box, even though you
probably have live wires. There are a number of possibilities, that could
cause problems if you tap into these wires, or do so incorrectly. Find
someone with some experience, and can determine what you have in the box. If
you do have a 120 volt "feed", installing a GFCI outlet is an easy enough
thing to do

"Joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car
is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug
in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low
ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just
barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of
these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage
of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be
careful, where gloves etc. Thx