Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman DYT4000 help

We have a 2004 Craftsman DYT4000 tractor. I am running into a problem
starting it up. The first thought was to replace the battery which is
now brand new. Still nothing. Then we changed the starter and still
nothing. And now we just swapped out the solenid and still nothing. It
will turn over when we pull out the spark plug but will not start.
Does anyone have an idea on what else to do next. Any help will be
much apprecciated.

Thank You

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 12, 4:59 pm, wrote:
We have a 2004 Craftsman DYT4000 tractor. I am running into a problem
starting it up. The first thought was to replace the battery which is
now brand new. Still nothing. Then we changed the starter and still
nothing. And now we just swapped out the solenid and still nothing. It
will turn over when we pull out the spark plug but will not start.
Does anyone have an idea on what else to do next. Any help will be
much apprecciated.

Thank You

Engines need fire and fuel. Memorize that. Check for a spark by
holding the plug wire 1/4" away from the plug. If you have a spark
check for fuel. Uually a bad plug will leave you with a fuel odor at
the exhaust indicating that fuel is not a problem. Replace the air
filter and try starting it. Replace the spark plug, ditto. Another
trick for stubborn starting is to take off the air filter and spray a
shot of starting fluid in the intake. If it starts and runs and
quickly stops it may be a fuel pump problem. These are all common ways
of dealing with difficult engines. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Oren that you may have a bad cable or a poor connection.
Also check the grounding to be sure that the engine block and the starter
motor are well connected electrically to the chassis.

Dave .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:12:06 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

I agree with Oren that you may have a bad cable or a poor connection.
Also check the grounding to be sure that the engine block and the starter
motor are well connected electrically to the chassis.

Dave .

Seldom have I found a poor ground to the frame. Most poor connections
are at the starter. I've seen damage to a starter when the cable was
not carefully installed... twisted the thingy-ma-bob where the cable
connects.

Clean cables and connections are my first test...for a start test...

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a 2004 Craftsman DYT4000 tractor. I am running into a problem
starting it up. The first thought was to replace the battery which is
now brand new. Still nothing. Then we changed the starter and still
nothing. And now we just swapped out the solenid and still nothing. It
will turn over when we pull out the spark plug but will not start.
Does anyone have an idea on what else to do next. Any help will be
much apprecciated.

Thank You

Could be the seat safety switch.....?

OK, if not Craftsman, then who? jcatora Woodworking 24 December 30th 06 11:13 AM
Craftsman (or maybe other saw) extensions Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 1 July 22nd 06 03:12 AM
Craftsman Craftsman 12 in. Band Saw any good? Paul Currie Woodworking 10 January 18th 06 02:51 AM
Craftsman Lathes grB Woodturning 8 March 28th 05 04:24 AM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM