Posted to alt.home.repair

Default enough psi in a powerwasher for 3 story house cleaning of siding?

Curious what most have found to be enough psi for a 3 story house to
clean the siding? (I think around 35 feet to the peak)

IE: I've looked at some electrics that max out at around 1600 psi,
while the gas ones are around 2200 psi or higher...

I was thinking electric would be the easier one with less maintenance
etc.. but maybe not enough power?

Here are two models in particular:

Sistema 10102 CleanJet 1400 TSS
http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-10102-...4318373&sr=1-2
1400 psi, 1.4gal per minute, electric;

or

Briggs and Stratton 2200 psi
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto...4318373&sr=1-5
Gas powered;

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sistema 10102 CleanJet 1400 TSShttp://www.amazon.com/Sistema-10102-Cleanjet-Electric-Pressure/dp/B00...
1400 psi, 1.4gal per minute, electric;

or

Briggs and Stratton 2200 psihttp://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-Gas-Powered-Pressure-Washer/dp/...
Gas powered;

Thanks

Actually here is a better electric, psi wise:

Karcher 1800 psi 1.5 gallons per minute
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...esc&lpage=none

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-10102-...ressure/dp/B00...
1400 psi, 1.4gal per minute, electric;

or

Briggs and Stratton 2200 psi
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto...ure-Washer/dp/...
Gas powered;

Thanks

35 feet? A plain old garden hose will deliver a stronger stream of
water at that distance. Pressure washer pressure happens very close to
the nozzle. You need to be within a foot or two of whatever you are
trying to clean. At five feet, there is just a fine mist gently
wafting through the air.

CWM

Good to know this. I have same problem cleaning a shaded side of my
house and had also thought pressure washer. For this senior citizen
to climb a 30 ft ladder on a slope is also out of the question.
Wonder if anyone else has a suggestion?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 3:56 pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

Frank- Hide quoted text -

I had heard that the gas powered 2200 psi or higher units would reach
that high (i posted this but it didnt show up ).. I wonder what the
pro's would use.. or maybe they use a ladder..

Trying to find a solution that is around $200 , hopefully electric.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 3:58 pm, markm75 wrote:
I had heard that the gas powered 2200 psi or higher units would reach
that high (i posted this but it didnt show up ).. I wonder what the
pro's would use.. or maybe they use a ladder..

They use a powered scaffold, or a ladder.

Trying to find a solution that is around $200 , hopefully electric.

Good luck. High end electric units make gas ones look cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

markm75 wrote:
On May 10, 3:56 pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

I don't think you'll succeed. I have a 2500 psi gas powered and it's good
enough to drill a hole in the pavement in my driveway if I treat it
stupidly, but no way it'd reach 35 feet in the air. And boy, if you had a
stream that strong and ever let it touch the siding down lower, say goodby
to the siding! g
With the best "pencil" stream nozzle I have I'm lucky to reach the 15
feet level to clean the one dormer on the house.
Water under pressure like that loses that pressure very quickly as soon
as it leaves the confines of the nozzle. They also mix air with the watr
stream and of course it dissipates rather quickly. I suppose there -could-
be a nozzle for the bigger pro-equipment but it wouldn't be affordable to
the guy on the street (many thousands).
A pressure washer isn't a good choice for washing siding anyway,
especially if it's up over your head. You end up spraying the water up and
into the bottoms of the slding pieces, where it can enter underneath the
siding and leak down inside, plus it usually leaves a slow stream of brown
water from all the dust inside there that it moves around. You
almost -have- to at least be at the same level as the siding to use a
pressure washer for that. Voice of experience here g.
With my pressure washer I could get you fairly wet at twenty feet and it
would be a widely spread stream, small droplets. I can also get you VERY
wet at that same distance by simply using my garden hose with a good nozzle
on it. But like I said, you really don't want to be spraying "up" at siding
anyways; it lets the water in under it at the horizontal seams.

I've only ever seen a couple of pros doing house washing, and they used
scaffolds between ladders to work on. And they were using garden hoses with
attachments meant to shoot out cleaner and then rinsing it.
Pressure washers are really meant only for up close work from floor to
say shoulder level. Does a great job on my porch cieling, though.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

35 feet? A plain old garden hose will deliver a stronger stream of
water at that distance. Pressure washer pressure happens very close to
the nozzle. You need to be within a foot or two of whatever you are
trying to clean. At five feet, there is just a fine mist gently
wafting through the air.

CWM

Thats all I use to wash our siding. As you said a pressure washer is
useless at that range and really not a good thing to use on siding that
is closer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:32:25 -0400, George
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

35 feet? A plain old garden hose will deliver a stronger stream of
water at that distance. Pressure washer pressure happens very close to
the nozzle. You need to be within a foot or two of whatever you are
trying to clean. At five feet, there is just a fine mist gently
wafting through the air.

CWM

Thats all I use to wash our siding. As you said a pressure washer is
useless at that range and really not a good thing to use on siding that
is closer.

They must sell things that go on garden hoses that will mix soap in
with the water. Last year they had a product that was meant for
cleaning windows on the second floor. I think it was blue. Don't know
how well it worked on windows, let alone walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to mm :

They must sell things that go on garden hoses that will mix soap in
with the water. Last year they had a product that was meant for
cleaning windows on the second floor. I think it was blue. Don't know
how well it worked on windows, let alone walls.

"Windex" has been making a hose end sprayer unit for some years now,
comes filled with the cleaner (not quite the same as standard
windex). You spray it on the windows, wait a bit, and then
rinse. Any hardware/DIY/Lowes etc store should have it.

It seems to work quite well on windows. It might work on siding,
and if not, you could refill it with something else. They're
cheap too.

Of course gardening centres are full of such devices for
spraying liquid fertilizer etc, so that'd probably work
fine too.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

#1 a plain garden hose won't reach 20ft if you have pvc plumbing your water pressure may be too low. to make matters harder - you'd thing going up on a ladder would help (dangerous with a hose). as it turns out the water wants to go to about the same height whether it is in the hose or not. (meaning you will not get 10' extra reach going 10' up a ladder)

#2 you cannot pressure wash from the ground because you can only "soft wash" from ground (don't push water under the siding upward)

#3 you may need a gas powered if you expect sudsy water to reach that high without using a $120 wand or ladder

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...si-216261-.htm