Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default enough psi in a powerwasher for 3 story house cleaning of siding?

markm75 wrote:
On May 10, 3:56 pm, Frank wrote:
On May 10, 1:58 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On 10 May 2007 10:49:42 -0700, markm75 wrote:

Curious what most have found to be enough psi for a 3 story house
to clean the siding? (I think around 35 feet to the peak)

IE: I've looked at some electrics that max out at around 1600 psi,
while the gas ones are around 2200 psi or higher...

I was thinking electric would be the easier one with less
maintenance etc.. but maybe not enough power?

Here are two models in particular:

Sistema 10102 CleanJet 1400 TSS
http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-10102-...ressure/dp/B00...
1400 psi, 1.4gal per minute, electric;

or

Briggs and Stratton 2200 psi
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto...ure-Washer/dp/...
Gas powered;

Thanks

35 feet? A plain old garden hose will deliver a stronger stream of
water at that distance. Pressure washer pressure happens very close
to the nozzle. You need to be within a foot or two of whatever you
are trying to clean. At five feet, there is just a fine mist gently
wafting through the air.

CWM

Good to know this. I have same problem cleaning a shaded side of my
house and had also thought pressure washer. For this senior citizen
to climb a 30 ft ladder on a slope is also out of the question.
Wonder if anyone else has a suggestion?
Frank- Hide quoted text -

I had heard that the gas powered 2200 psi or higher units would reach
that high (i posted this but it didnt show up ).. I wonder what the
pro's would use.. or maybe they use a ladder..

Trying to find a solution that is around $200 , hopefully electric.

I don't think you'll succeed. I have a 2500 psi gas powered and it's good
enough to drill a hole in the pavement in my driveway if I treat it
stupidly, but no way it'd reach 35 feet in the air. And boy, if you had a
stream that strong and ever let it touch the siding down lower, say goodby
to the siding! g
With the best "pencil" stream nozzle I have I'm lucky to reach the 15
feet level to clean the one dormer on the house.
Water under pressure like that loses that pressure very quickly as soon
as it leaves the confines of the nozzle. They also mix air with the watr
stream and of course it dissipates rather quickly. I suppose there -could-
be a nozzle for the bigger pro-equipment but it wouldn't be affordable to
the guy on the street (many thousands).
A pressure washer isn't a good choice for washing siding anyway,
especially if it's up over your head. You end up spraying the water up and
into the bottoms of the slding pieces, where it can enter underneath the
siding and leak down inside, plus it usually leaves a slow stream of brown
water from all the dust inside there that it moves around. You
almost -have- to at least be at the same level as the siding to use a
pressure washer for that. Voice of experience here g.
With my pressure washer I could get you fairly wet at twenty feet and it
would be a widely spread stream, small droplets. I can also get you VERY
wet at that same distance by simply using my garden hose with a good nozzle
on it. But like I said, you really don't want to be spraying "up" at siding
anyways; it lets the water in under it at the horizontal seams.

I've only ever seen a couple of pros doing house washing, and they used
scaffolds between ladders to work on. And they were using garden hoses with
attachments meant to shoot out cleaner and then rinsing it.
Pressure washers are really meant only for up close work from floor to
say shoulder level. Does a great job on my porch cieling, though.

HTH
Pop`