James R. Shivers

Default CLEANING SIDING

What is the best way to clean the vinyl siding on my house? Thanks to
anyone that responds. Jim
Gideon

1) Contact manufacturer and ask them.

2) Powerwasher. Read instructions.

3) Hose, bucket, soapy water, brush, lots of time.

How old is the siding? What is the condition - just dirty
or possibly faded? The manufacturer may suggest
plasticizers or wax-like coatings after the washing
to restore color and sheen, or to prolong the life of
the siding.

Please provide us with some more details about the
condition of the siding and what you hope to achieve
and we can provide many suggestion, and a few of
the suggestions may even be useful. I clean my
siding with a garden hose about 3 or 4 times a year,
but my requirements are probably extremely different
from yours.

Good luck,
Gideon

Robert Allison

James R. Shivers wrote:
What is the best way to clean the vinyl siding on my house? Thanks to
anyone that responds. Jim

Pressure washer.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Gideon

Oops, I forgot to mention one thing. If your needs
will be met with a power washer, then please read
the instructions and seek advise before using one
on your siding. I've seen many situations in which
the siding looked MUCH worse after power washing.

Good luck,
Gideon

Gideon

Red Cloud® wrote in message ...
On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:56:22 GMT, "Gideon" wrote:

Oops, I forgot to mention one thing. If your needs
will be met with a power washer, then please read
the instructions and seek advise before using one
on your siding. I've seen many situations in which
the siding looked MUCH worse after power washing.

What happened? Why was it worse when it was clean rather than dirty? How can
pressure washing cause any harm to vinyl siding? How many situations? Can you
point us to any other sources to confirm this?

rusty redcloud

Backlash

Beware the pressure washer in inexperienced hands! They can destroy the
seals in insulated windows for starters. A zero degree nozzle will alow you
to permanently carve your name in concrete or brick. Washing across the fins
on an air conditioner will ruin the coil. One of my units has an 18 hp
engine with a Cat pump on it, and I could probably use that one in place of
the chain saw.
Spic and Span does a pretty good job in presoak of vinyl siding before
pressure washing, or before hand brushing. Use a wide angle nozzle and go
easy.

RJ

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
James R. Shivers wrote:
What is the best way to clean the vinyl siding on my house? Thanks to
anyone that responds. Jim

Pressure washer.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Phisherman

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:15:21 -0500, "James R. Shivers"
wrote:

What is the best way to clean the vinyl siding on my house? Thanks to
anyone that responds. Jim

I use a cleaning solution (1 cup TSP, 1 cup household bleach in 2
gallons of warm water) in a garden sprayer, a telescoping long-handled
soft brush, and a garden hose.
longshot

I agree. pressure washers can blow holes in siding, if you disagree than you
have never seen a REAL pressure washer.

longshot

More likely, you've never seen someone who knew how to use a REAL
pressure washer properly.

I think the point was to be careful, if you have never used one. thanks for
paying attention.