Posted to alt.home.repair

Default window in shower

I am in the midst of a complete bathroom renovation. Gutted the
entire room down to the studs and subfloor. The floorplan can't
change so rearranging fixtures is out of the question. What could
change is the fact that centered along the long side of the tub/shower
is a window.

The studs are rotten and barely attached to the homosote sheathing and
the window has almost no support.
The vynil siding is about two years old and doesn't get direct
sunlightand was not a special order color.
The window is a vynil replacement window installed at the same time as
the siding.
A cast iron tub will be installed with a ceramic tile surround.
A vent fan/light will be installed.
The house is about 35 years old.

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or
should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 1:09�pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

It will just fail again, if you dont remove the window completely.

But if there are no other windows then add a good vent fan with
outside exhaust

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need a vent in there. Its either a window or electric vent fan.
Pick your poison and go with it. Personally I am not a fan of
having
a window in the shower. I would simply repair any damage that is in
there and close the whole thing off. Putting in a good vent is
easy with everything open.

One other thing is I recommend Panasonic Vents. Great quality
stuff and its quiet.

Tom

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 1:26�pm, wrote:
[...]

should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?- Hide quoted text -

remember to either leave the dioor open a crack or add a intake vent
in the door so air can flow, if you opt for a vent fan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 2:42�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
You need a vent in there. * Its either a window or electric vent fan.
Pick your poison and go with it. * Personally I am not a fan of
having
a window in the shower.

I, on the other hand, am a big fan of having windows in everyone else's
shower.

so your a contractor? that explains why you like them.......

dependable source of income......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or
should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

I have a window in my shower. It used to be a double-hung
window until I had the bathroom remodelled. I replaced top half
of the window with a casement window, and the siding/sheathing
was patched in.

It's high enough no one can see into the bathroom, and you can
crank it open for some air circulation. Worked out great for me.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 3:34?pm, willshak wrote:
wrote:

Hmmm... I got a different meaning from what he said. Think about it. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I am home sick, slow today

GOT IT NOW!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or
should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

I have a window in my shower. It used to be a double-hung
window until I had the bathroom remodelled. I replaced top half
of the window with a casement window, and the siding/sheathing
was patched in.

It's high enough no one can see into the bathroom, and you can
crank it open for some air circulation. Worked out great for me.

nancy

What if I stood on a box atop a chair and leaned way over to the right with
a mirror on a stick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or
should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

I have a window in my shower. It used to be a double-hung
window until I had the bathroom remodelled. I replaced top half
of the window with a casement window, and the siding/sheathing
was patched in.

It's high enough no one can see into the bathroom, and you can
crank it open for some air circulation. Worked out great for me.

What if I stood on a box atop a chair and leaned way over to the right
with a mirror on a stick?

(laugh!) Nope, well, maybe if you stood on the neighbor's garage
roof. Nah, not even then. One thing I'm not sure I maide clear, the
half window has the advantage that the shower no longer hits it.
Previously the window and sill were rotting because of that. Problem
completely solved, and I didn't have to go to a windowless bathroom,
which I wouldn't like.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote

[...]

Okay.... How about on the neighbor's roof with a suitable plank, door mirror
or two, plus binoculars with night vision capability?

Help me out; I'm trying to stock up on the proper gear here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 7 May 2007 10:09:24 -0700, Limp Arbor
wrote:

[...]

Remember a window in a shower should be tempered glass. You can
usually get these in frosted, pebbled or otherwise obscured.

Yes, replace the rotted studs, or at a minimum, stabilize with epoxy or
something while walls are open. Bathrooms without daylight are a big turnoff
for buyers- I'd try to find some way to keep it. In a shower, I'd look at
glass block, especially if this isn't on street side. With glass block, you
can flush it in to the new tile, and eliminate the mold-breeding crevice
problems.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:40�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote

[...]

Help me out; I'm trying to stock up on the proper gear here.- Hide quoted text -

just mount a ireless camera on a bedroom window..........

probably less risk to find what you want on the net.

elminates fall hazard, getting caught, tv and newspapers with your
photo, time spent in the slammer. do what floats your boat.

I once considered buying a home next to my best friend, I was dating
his daughter.

My buddy said I can see the telescope now

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree light in a bathroom is a plus. However, what we're talking
about is a window over a tub/shower. IMO, if it's a nice window
located where it makes sense, that's great. For example, you see
this on high end new construction, where the tub may have windows
nearby, like a couple feet away, but it's not right on top of the tub
and the bath has a seperate shower. Your eye is drawn to it and it's
an attractive feature of the bathroom

On the other hand, if it's a small plain window right on top of a bath/
shower, I think it doesn't add much, if anything and it's just another
cleaning, maintenance issue and I'd likely eliminate it.

In a shower, I'd look at
glass block, especially if this isn't on street side. With glass block, you
can flush it in to the new tile, and eliminate the mold-breeding crevice
problems.

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -