Posted to alt.home.repair

Default window in shower

On May 7, 10:58 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
wrote in message

On 7 May 2007 10:09:24 -0700, Limp Arbor
wrote:

I am in the midst of a complete bathroom renovation. Gutted the
entire room down to the studs and subfloor. The floorplan can't
change so rearranging fixtures is out of the question. What could
change is the fact that centered along the long side of the tub/shower
is a window.

The studs are rotten and barely attached to the homosote sheathing and
the window has almost no support.
The vynil siding is about two years old and doesn't get direct
sunlightand was not a special order color.
The window is a vynil replacement window installed at the same time as
the siding.
A cast iron tub will be installed with a ceramic tile surround.
A vent fan/light will be installed.
The house is about 35 years old.

Should the studs be replaced/repaired and the window left in place or
should I have the window removed and the sheathing/siding patched in?

Remember a window in a shower should be tempered glass. You can
usually get these in frosted, pebbled or otherwise obscured.

Yes, replace the rotted studs, or at a minimum, stabilize with epoxy or
something while walls are open. Bathrooms without daylight are a big turnoff
for buyers- I'd try to find some way to keep it.

I agree light in a bathroom is a plus. However, what we're talking
about is a window over a tub/shower. IMO, if it's a nice window
located where it makes sense, that's great. For example, you see
this on high end new construction, where the tub may have windows
nearby, like a couple feet away, but it's not right on top of the tub
and the bath has a seperate shower. Your eye is drawn to it and it's
an attractive feature of the bathroom

On the other hand, if it's a small plain window right on top of a bath/
shower, I think it doesn't add much, if anything and it's just another
cleaning, maintenance issue and I'd likely eliminate it.

In a shower, I'd look at
glass block, especially if this isn't on street side. With glass block, you
can flush it in to the new tile, and eliminate the mold-breeding crevice
problems.

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -