Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Leaky shower

I seem to have me a leaky shower stall...

It's lined with ceramic tiles, both the floor and the walls, there's a
single drain in the center of the stall. The bathroom is upstairs, above
the garage, which is finished with drywall, including the ceiling. A few
weeks ago I noticed some water stains on the ceiling in the garage right
below where the shower is, so I cut a large-ish square hole, and it was
indeed wet. Through the hole I see the joists, supporting OMB boards. I
guess those OMB boards are the floor of the bathroom. I see the drain
pipe coming from the shower and going wherever it goes, but the pipe
feels dry to the touch. I don't see leaks at the elbow joining the pipe
coming down from the drain to the one going sideways. The OMB board was
damp to the touch.

I took out the grille covering the drain, and looked down the pipe. I
didn't see anything other than, well, white PVC pipe.

I didn't use the shower for a few weeks to let things dry out, meanwhile
I applied some silicone caulking around where the drain fixture joins
the floor tiles (the drain fixture is plastic), and at all around where
the floor and walls join (the grout didn't look broken at all, but I
figured it couldn't hurt...)

A few days ago I resumed using the shower, and the OMB board feels damp
again.

What steps could I take next to troubleshoot this, besides calling a
plumber?

Thanks,

-jav
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 3, 9:12 am, Javier wrote:
[...]

Have some one take a shower while you look from below

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

1: Check for cracks in the grout of the ceramic tile. Small cracks
developed leaks in mine.
2. Check for leaking pipe connections, faucets, etc.
3. Check for seal around faucet escutcheon. Shower may be getting
behind it.

On Thu, 03 May 2007 09:12:22 -0400, Javier
wrote:

[...]

Cheers,
Joe
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I would try plugging the drain from the top with a rubber ball or
stopper and then filling the shower a couple of inches. Check
downstairs. If you get a heavy leak, then the issue is around the
drain entrance and you may be in for some tile work. If it only leaks
once you take the ball out and the water rushes through, then your
issue is in the joint. (easy fix from below).

good luck

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Javier" wrote in message
[...]

If you are lucky, you have a leak in the drain piping, or
around the faucet controls or where the shower head
screws into the wall. More likely, you have a failure of
the shower pan, which would require tearing the shower
floor apart and rebuilding it. Searching on mud set
shower repair or tile shower repair might get you more info.

http://www.thetiledoctor.com/repair/leakypan.cfm for instance.

Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 3, 11:16 am, beecrofter wrote:

Have some one take a shower while you look from below-

I tried that and I'm now on probation for five years and have to
register with the county.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On May 3, 9:12 am, Javier wrote:
[...]

Actually, I've got something similar going on; just happened to go
into the basement after a shower and notice dripping. Repeated a few
days to confirm, dripping every time. (one of these molded shower
stalls, no tiles) So.... took off the shower head and capped the pipe,
then turned it on full blast; no drips, so the supply can't be the
problem. Then I took a huge storage bin thing, filled it up with a
hose from the sink, and dumped it into the bottom of the stall; no
drips, so it can't be the drain. Now what?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Either where faucet or spout meets wall, or if you have one of thosoe
clear fiberglass grips in your shower, check where that enters the
fiberglass wall. Caulk those areas.

Actually, I've got something similar going on; just happened to go
into the basement after a shower and notice dripping. Repeated a few
days to confirm, dripping every time. (one of these molded shower
stalls, no tiles) So.... took off the shower head and capped the pipe,
then turned it on full blast; no drips, so the supply can't be the
problem. Then I took a huge storage bin thing, filled it up with a
hose from the sink, and dumped it into the bottom of the stall; no
drips, so it can't be the drain. Now what?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 8, 1:30 pm, Jim Conway wrote:
Either where faucet or spout meets wall, or if you have one of thosoe
clear fiberglass grips in your shower, check where that enters the
fiberglass wall. Caulk those areas.

Actually, I've got something similar going on; just happened to go
into the basement after a shower and notice dripping. Repeated a few
days to confirm, dripping every time. (one of these molded shower
stalls, no tiles) So.... took off the shower head and capped the pipe,
then turned it on full blast; no drips, so the supply can't be the
problem. Then I took a huge storage bin thing, filled it up with a
hose from the sink, and dumped it into the bottom of the stall; no
drips, so it can't be the drain. Now what?- Hide quoted text -

In addition to all those good possibilites, also check outside the
shower door, where the outside floor tile meets the shower. If that
area is not caulked, water that drips from the door, folks drying off,
etc can also drip into and through the wood floor.