Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt driveway question

This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see driveway
coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

When do I need to retop the drive
Why would I have to do this
What is the best way to do this

Thanks for any answers

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 9:46�pm, "Shopdog" wrote:
This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see driveway
coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

* * When do I need to retop the drive
* * Why would I have to do this
* * What is the best way to do this

Thanks for any answers

Searcher

I do mine about every 2 years. its about 20 years old and still looks
good.my old next door neighbors still pretty good and its over 50
years old.....

I sweep. scrub with detergent and broom after moistening with water.
let dry like overnite, sweep lightly or run vacuumn over entire area
again then mix coating well and dump and brush in. dont worry too much
just cover well in warm weather and let dry for a couple days before
driving on it. if weather threatens put it off for later. wear old
clothes and shoes they will get yuckied up. easiest to toss them

its not rocket science but boy does my house shine when redone....
looks like a new driveway. you can use the crack filler type if the
condition is poor or a anti skid type if its a slope or your driveway
is slippery.

if its never been sealed before the first time will take a lot more
material it absorbs into the surface

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shopdog" wrote in message
This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see
driveway coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

When do I need to retop the drive

Between never and every year.

Why would I have to do this

So it looks as spiffy as your neighbor's driveway

What is the best way to do this

Hire someone.

Seriously, if you have any cracks. fill them in so water and freezing don't
do further damage. Aside from that, I've never found a good reason to spend
the money and sweat in the hot sun coating a driveway. Mine is still in
good condition after 29 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, Looks like I will be getting good weather for the next few days. I
do have a few small cracks and the drive IS on a slight slope, so your ideas
will work for me. Antiskid is definately in the program, I never realized
that blacktop was so slick when wet until we got it.

Thanks again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 10:22 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Shopdog" wrote in message

This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see
driveway coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

When do I need to retop the drive

Between never and every year.

Why would I have to do this

So it looks as spiffy as your neighbor's driveway

What is the best way to do this

Hire someone.

Seriously, if you have any cracks. fill them in so water and freezing don't
do further damage. Aside from that, I've never found a good reason to spend
the money and sweat in the hot sun coating a driveway. Mine is still in
good condition after 29 years.

I coat mine every few years. If you want to save sweat equity, buy
the more expensive coatings that do not require mixing which takes a
lot of effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:46 pm, "Shopdog" wrote:
This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see driveway
coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

When do I need to retop the drive
Why would I have to do this
What is the best way to do this

Thanks for any answers

Searcher

I found that I could hire someone cheaper than I could buy the
materials. They come with a tank truck that drives down the driveway
spraying the sealer on and a couple guys walk behind it. They were
gone in 30 minutes. They also sand the larger cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have read about those guys, what I have heard is that the "spray" they use
(in some cases) is nothing more then oil and tar. Having it done that way
just makes you have to do it again the next year. Now, I know this IS NOT in
all cases, but I being the handy type want to do it myself anyway.

Have you ever tried using the HD website, I typed in Driveway sealer /
Driveway coating etc and what comes up say "your search turned up no
results"
That is the worst web design I have ever been too

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shopdog wrote:
I have read about those guys, what I have heard is that the "spray" they use
(in some cases) is nothing more then oil and tar. Having it done that way
just makes you have to do it again the next year. Now, I know this IS NOT in
all cases, but I being the handy type want to do it myself anyway.

Have you ever tried using the HD website, I typed in Driveway sealer /
Driveway coating etc and what comes up say "your search turned up no
results"
That is the worst web design I have ever been too

Heh, oddly enough I was just there a few minutes ago looking for the
same stuff. I'm about to try to patch/seal my own driveway, to stave
off the inevitable repaving (it's at least 20 years old at a minimum,
but in surprisingly OK shape except for two bad areas.) I share your
opinion of the web site; I find it worthless (and I don't particularly
like the store either, but it's close by.)

So....

anyone got any opinions on the various products available? What does HD
sell, anyway? It appears that Lowe's sells "Black Jack" brand products,
how does that stack up against whatever it is that HD sells? I've found
a couple favorable mentions of a "Henry" brand sealer online but don't
see anywhere to buy it?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkL" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 2, 8:46 pm, "Shopdog" wrote:
This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks
OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see
driveway
coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

When do I need to retop the drive
Why would I have to do this
What is the best way to do this

Thanks for any answers

Searcher

I found that I could hire someone cheaper than I could buy the
materials. They come with a tank truck that drives down the driveway
spraying the sealer on and a couple guys walk behind it. They were
gone in 30 minutes. They also sand the larger cracks.

Really? Wow. I hope you didn't get taken by "travelers" painting driveways
(a la "The Riches"). Around here, the lowest estimate I could get was $900
for my sealing driveway, and the materials only cost me $150. It took me
nearly 2 days to do it (wide, long driveway), but I was getting MUCH faster
by the end, both at mixing up the mess and applying it. I'm sure I can do it
in one day next time. That didn't include the time spent patching the cracks
the previous week, but that only took about an hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:12:27 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

I have read about those guys, what I have heard is that the "spray" they use
(in some cases) is nothing more then oil and tar. Having it done that way
just makes you have to do it again the next year. Now, I know this IS NOT in
all cases, but I being the handy type want to do it myself anyway.

Have you ever tried using the HD website, I typed in Driveway sealer /
Driveway coating etc and what comes up say "your search turned up no
results"
That is the worst web design I have ever been too

It's quite unbelievable how bad it is. I wouldn't know how to write a
search program as bad as theirs is. Have to go to a special school.

Lowe's is bad too. Maybe it's a competition.

RE Asphalt Driveway joe Home Repair 1 July 21st 06 10:15 PM
new asphalt driveway - in January???? Dom Home Ownership 6 January 14th 05 10:51 PM
how to remove asphalt driveway Nancy Drew Home Repair 10 September 29th 04 02:59 AM
Asphalt Driveway PHroGman Home Repair 2 March 22nd 04 07:00 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM