Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt driveway question

On May 2, 9:46�pm, "Shopdog" wrote:
This is our first home and we have an asphalt driveway, to me it looks OK,
but does seem to have lost its sheen over the past two years. I see driveway
coating at the big box stores.
So my question is:

* * When do I need to retop the drive
* * Why would I have to do this
* * What is the best way to do this

Thanks for any answers

Searcher

I do mine about every 2 years. its about 20 years old and still looks
good.my old next door neighbors still pretty good and its over 50
years old.....

I sweep. scrub with detergent and broom after moistening with water.
let dry like overnite, sweep lightly or run vacuumn over entire area
again then mix coating well and dump and brush in. dont worry too much
just cover well in warm weather and let dry for a couple days before
driving on it. if weather threatens put it off for later. wear old
clothes and shoes they will get yuckied up. easiest to toss them

its not rocket science but boy does my house shine when redone....
looks like a new driveway. you can use the crack filler type if the
condition is poor or a anti skid type if its a slope or your driveway
is slippery.

if its never been sealed before the first time will take a lot more
material it absorbs into the surface