Posted to alt.home.repair

Default door closer that WORKS?

please help my storm door...

I've replaced my door closer (old one didn't do the do) with a new
"Wright" brand "medium duty" closer (beefiest looking one I've found)
and the door closed with a satisfying slam. Then I went to leave, and I
discovered that with the wood door behind it closed, it won't latch -
apparently the main door is airtight enough that it causes air pressure
to build up between the two doors when the storm door tries to close,
and it stops just short of latching. Can anyone recommend a closer that
actually has a positive closing action that really works? I thought I
remembered sometime in my past having played with a closer that would
slowly close the door and then when it got within a few inches of the
latch would really suck it closed.

As a sidebar, the sheetmetal screws provided to mount the bracket to the
door stripped before tightening down (aluminum frame) anything for it
but to get some rivet nuts in, say, 10-32 or thereabouts?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Sounds like an adjustment issue. It's closing with the wood door open
because of the momentum of the door causing enough over travel to latch.
With the wood door closed and the air resistance the door decelerates on
the cushion of air when it gets close and then because the closer isn't
positioned or adjusted properly that's where it stops since the closer
is no longer pulling.

You need to set the closer so that there is tension on it when the door
is fully closed and latched. you should have to pull the closer rod out
a bit with pliers and hold it there with it's lock plate in order to
connect it to the bracket on the door. when not connected to the bracket
on the door the closer rod should rest about an inch back from it's
connecting point. This insures that when closing against the air cushion
the closer continues to pull as the air vents until the door latches
properly.

On the stripped holes, some options a

Rivet nuts
Pop rivets
Larger screws
Epoxy putty
TIG weld to fill and then re-drill holes

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
please help my storm door...

I've replaced my door closer (old one didn't do the do) with a new "Wright" brand
"medium duty" closer (beefiest looking one I've found) and the door closed with a
satisfying slam. Then I went to leave, and I discovered that with the wood door
behind it closed, it won't latch - apparently the main door is airtight enough that
it causes air pressure to build up between the two doors when the storm door tries
to close, and it stops just short of latching.

It's probably working fine, but you haven't adjusted it for your installation. Go
here for the instructions, if they didn't come with your closer.

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=19294

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 30, 11:47 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

I adjusted the closer exactly per the directions on the package... and
then adjusted it shorter to provide more "slam" - no difference.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:

On Apr 30, 11:47 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Then I suspect that the mount for the base of the closer is mounted too
close to the door it's closing, providing too little angle for the
amount of pull the closer can generate. I'm pretty sure your door is not
fully airtight so the air cushion will leak away and the door will latch
as long as there is sufficient force still being applied. Also you don't
want "slam" i.e. speed, you want "pull" i.e. force. You want sufficient
force applied to insure proper closing, but you want it applied at a
nice controlled speed to prevent slamming.

Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 10:14 AM
Replace a closer for a storm door Anthona Home Repair 14 December 16th 06 10:23 PM
Storm Door Closer Herb S Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 05:11 AM
Door closer noise JoeJoe UK diy 15 June 18th 05 04:36 PM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM