Posted to alt.home.repair
Nut Nut is offline

Default Toilet bowl full of water

I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Z4NXh.127940$aG1.117457@pd7urf3no, "Nut" wrote:
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

Could be they're both clogged, yes. But the following are much more likely:

- a clog in a pipe that both toilets share, either inside or outside the house
- if the two toilets share the same vent stack, the vent may be clogged
- if you're on a septic system, your tank is full and needs to be pumped (and
you probably have other problems as well).

Need more information to give you a better answer:
Are you on a septic system, or a municipal sewer?
Did the problems appear at about the same time on the two toilets?
Where are the two toilets, in relation to each other?
Do you have small children? If so, are you missing anything? (Around age 2 or
3, a lot of kids think it's fun to flush stuff down the toilet, to watch it
disappear.)

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nut" wrote in message
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over
flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

Most fill valves are adjustable; without seeing yours it is hard to be more
specific.

However, if you lower the level it will flush even worse, since it is the
volume of water in the bowl that flushes it.
Best to find out why it is flushing poorly.
Could have a clog, a blocked vent, or just a really really poor toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nut Nut is offline

We moved into this apartment a few days ago.
We are on municipal sewer.
Bathrooms are side by side.

. ..
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"Nut" wrote in message
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over
flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

Most fill valves are adjustable; without seeing yours it is hard to be more
specific.

The fill valve adjusts the water level in the tank, not in the bowl.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article bFNXh.126600$DE1.31055@pd7urf2no, "Nut" wrote:
We moved into this apartment a few days ago.

Apartment = simple solution: tell the landlord the toilets need to be fixed.

It's not your property, and therefore it isn't your problem; in fact, your
lease probably prohibits you from performing any repairs on the property
(since it isn't yours). It's up to the landlord to fix it.

We are on municipal sewer.
Bathrooms are side by side.

And thus probably share a common drain, and a common vent, either of which
could be plugged. But, as noted above, that's the landlord's responsibility,
not yours.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:06:47 GMT, "Nut" wrote:

We moved into this apartment a few days ago.
We are on municipal sewer.
Bathrooms are side by side.

Time to contact the owner. The drain is plugged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:28:09 GMT, "Nut" wrote:

I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over flowing.

I agree with contacting the landlord.

In the mean time, pour a large pale (3-5 gal) of water into the bowl.
Maybe twice and see if it helps reduce your fear.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nut" wrote in message
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over
flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

my guess is the vent stack is plugged, or worse, there isnt one. sometimes
animals will crawl in & die.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:25:45 GMT, "longshot" wrote:

"Nut" wrote in message
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over
flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

my guess is the vent stack is plugged, or worse, there isnt one.

Wouldn't this affect everyone in the entire line? The set of
apartments that are above or below his. Usually at least one.

sometimes
animals will crawl in & die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nut" wrote in message
I have 2 toilets where the bowls are 3/4 full of water.
When flushing they either flush very very slowly or don't flush at all and
you must reflush.

I get scared every time I flush as the water rises so close to over
flowing.

Is there away of adjusting the water in the bowl to lower the level of
water?
Maybe there both clogged?

my guess is the vent stack is plugged, or worse, there isnt one.

Wouldn't this affect everyone in the entire line? The set of
apartments that are above or below his. Usually at least one.

sometimes
animals will crawl in & die.

Just a thought. I snaked the crap out of one once. It kept raising,
Finally pulled the thing and it had a bar of soap in it. The soap
defies all snaking sometimes. And it will spin allowing some of the
water to escape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought the unit

wrote:
We moved into this apartment a few days ago.

Apartment = simple solution: tell the landlord the toilets need to be
fixed.

It's not your property, and therefore it isn't your problem; in fact, your
lease probably prohibits you from performing any repairs on the property
(since it isn't yours). It's up to the landlord to fix it.

We are on municipal sewer.
Bathrooms are side by side.

And thus probably share a common drain, and a common vent, either of which
could be plugged. But, as noted above, that's the landlord's
responsibility,
not yours.

--
Regards,
* * * *Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.- Hide quoted text -

snake sewer, then try flushing with a bucket of water.

If toilets flush fine, then the interior passages of toilet are likely
clogged, this is easily and cheaply fixed.

some toliets normally have more water in the bowl than others, my
basement toilet is like this

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:48:07 GMT, "Nut" wrote:

I bought the unit

Then start reading

http://www.toiletology.com/howitwrk.shtml

Page 5 may be of interest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

[...]

You been watching over my shoulder? A month or so ago, I was asked to look
at the two toilets in a rental condo. The tenant said they both flushed
slowly and he was concerned. The condo association plumber had been out
and said that the problem was in the toilets rather than the common
piping.

It turns out the tenant was wrong, and it wasn't both toilets that had a
problem, just the one (they were separated by about 30 feet), and there
was nothing wrong with the common drains, there was a model of the space
shuttle that had gotten stuck in the throat of the toilet. TP would get
caught on it and cause the toilet to back up, but just water would flush
ok.

The only odd thing was that the owner's grandson hadn't lived there for
four years and no kids since then. It seemed unlikely to me that the
blockage wouldn't have been noticed before now. In fact, I'd worked in the
unit during the past 2 years and had used the toilet with no problems that
I remember. Odd, that.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only odd thing was that the owner's grandson hadn't lived there for
four years and no kids since then. It seemed unlikely to me that the
blockage wouldn't have been noticed before now. In fact, I'd worked in the
unit during the past 2 years and had used the toilet with no problems that
I remember. Odd, that.

I have some startling news for you, which may serve you well
in your future career as a landlord.

THe tenants aren't the only people who ever go into most
dwelling units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest go the hardware store, plumbing department. Ask for a
"closet auger". They should have a cheap one about $10 and an
expensive one about $25 and an indestructo on eabout $50.

Buy the cheap one, ask the clerk to give you an idea how to use
it. Bring it home, snake out your toilet, and let us know if that
helps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.