Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sanding a Gyprock Ceiling

Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down. I plan to paint it white when it's ready, but first to
sand it down. My arms are about to fall off. What's the best way to
sand this ceiling with the least amount of effort? How about a
portable sander? What about one of those long pole sanders that look
like a "swiffer"...with sandpaper on the end. I'm willing to spend $
on this now and save my arms. I just want to make sure that the
solution does a good job as well.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down. I plan to paint it white when it's ready, but first to
sand it down. My arms are about to fall off. What's the best way to
sand this ceiling with the least amount of effort? How about a
portable sander? What about one of those long pole sanders that look
like a "swiffer"...with sandpaper on the end. I'm willing to spend $
on this now and save my arms. I just want to make sure that the
solution does a good job as well.

Thanks

I like the long-handled Swiffer-style. If you're doing a lot of
sanding, maybe you're puting on too much compound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down. I plan to paint it white when it's ready, but first to
sand it down. My arms are about to fall off. What's the best way to
sand this ceiling with the least amount of effort? How about a
portable sander? What about one of those long pole sanders that look
like a "swiffer"...with sandpaper on the end. I'm willing to spend $
on this now and save my arms. I just want to make sure that the
solution does a good job as well.

Thanks

I like the long-handled Swiffer-style. If you're doing a lot of
sanding, maybe you're puting on too much compound.

I'm with him. Having learned how to do it the hard hard way it really
doesn't take that much joint compound. As for the pole sanders - they work
very well, but be prepared to wear a good tight fitting mask and also be
prepared to vacuum and dust every crevice and crack of your room afterwards.
That stuff gets EVERYWHERE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote in news:NVxXh.4158
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down. I plan to paint it white when it's ready, but first to
sand it down. My arms are about to fall off. What's the best way to
sand this ceiling with the least amount of effort? How about a
portable sander? What about one of those long pole sanders that look
like a "swiffer"...with sandpaper on the end. I'm willing to spend $
on this now and save my arms. I just want to make sure that the
solution does a good job as well.

Thanks

I like the long-handled Swiffer-style. If you're doing a lot of
sanding, maybe you're puting on too much compound.

....or using the powder mud that mixes with water and hardens like a rock!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:25:28 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"The Streets" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in message
[...]

My (DIY) hardest lesson was learn and use thin coats of joint compound
in layers. Being calm and not in a hurry to finish the job. Then I
can sand each lighter coat with the pole and 220 grit; to the desired
affect..
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:44:18 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:
...or using the powder mud that mixes with water and hardens like a rock!

My bride calls me "powder mud" ;-)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down.

The amount of sanding should be very minimal. You're either using too much
mud, or being sloppy (I'm guilty here).

Try using THIN coats of mud and getting them smooth when applied.

I also find a damp sponge can do the job equally well as long as there isn't
too much material to remove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:03:47 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello,

I'm installing a new gyprock ceiling that I'm in the process of
sanding down.

The amount of sanding should be very minimal. You're either using too much
mud, or being sloppy (I'm guilty here).

Try using THIN coats of mud and getting them smooth when applied.

In the early '70s Walt Disney came to Orlando. Sheet rock was nailed
with blue nails and a "sheet rock hatchet". The head of hatchet would
dimple the board, so the finisher needed to come back a second day.
Usually a two coat process then.

I also find a damp sponge can do the job equally well as long as there isn't
too much material to remove.

--
Oren

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Ceiling fan- attaching the ceiling plate kennyjh Home Repair 4 April 19th 06 11:01 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
How well do the powerless sanding tools work on sanding the inside of bowls? George Saridakis Woodturning 5 February 8th 05 11:48 PM