Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Breath-rite strips

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

All I need is the right adhesive and a suggestion about what the right
plastic is and where to buy it. That's all, LOL.

I don't have major problems breathing, but sometimes I think
breath-rite strips would help while running and other exercising, and
even for sleeping. There is NO doubt that when I inhale strongly
through my nose, the passage on each side narrows substantially.

IIRC, they were not expensive but not cheap, and I'm not good at
moderation, and I think if I started using them, I would want to use
one or more a day. The cost would mount up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 01:17:02 -0400, mm
wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

All I need is the right adhesive and a suggestion about what the right
plastic is and where to buy it. That's all, LOL.

BTW, the right adhesive is one that will stick to the plastic and also
to the skin of my nose.

I don't have major problems breathing, but sometimes I think
breath-rite strips would help while running and other exercising, and
even for sleeping. There is NO doubt that when I inhale strongly
through my nose, the passage on each side narrows substantially.

IIRC, they were not expensive but not cheap, and I'm not good at
moderation, and I think if I started using them, I would want to use
one or more a day. The cost would mount up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

BTW, the right adhesive is one that will stick to the plastic and also
to the skin of my nose.

I'd try Crazy Glue or 5 minute epoxy. You'll only need it every couple of
weeks that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Duct Tape, the answer is ALWAYS duct tape ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

All I need is the right adhesive and a suggestion about what the right
plastic is and where to buy it. That's all, LOL.

I don't have major problems breathing, but sometimes I think
breath-rite strips would help while running and other exercising, and
even for sleeping. There is NO doubt that when I inhale strongly
through my nose, the passage on each side narrows substantially.

IIRC, they were not expensive but not cheap, and I'm not good at
moderation, and I think if I started using them, I would want to use
one or more a day. The cost would mount up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:42:29 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

A couple one-inch pieces of 3/8" tubing will accomplish the same thing.
Reusable forever.

How do I get it to stick to my nose?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

All I need is the right adhesive and a suggestion about what the right
plastic is and where to buy it. That's all, LOL.

I don't have major problems breathing, but sometimes I think
breath-rite strips would help while running and other exercising, and
even for sleeping. There is NO doubt that when I inhale strongly
through my nose, the passage on each side narrows substantially.

IIRC, they were not expensive but not cheap, and I'm not good at
moderation, and I think if I started using them, I would want to use
one or more a day. The cost would mount up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:51:43 -0400, "Postal68"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Duct Tape, the answer is ALWAYS duct tape ;-)

Although I hear duct tape is not that good for fixing heating ducts.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Note that it is: "Breathe Right"
See: http://www.breatheright.com/

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

http://www.breatheright.com/

--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

I'm agreeing with him that I spelled it wrong. That's why I wasn't
able to make one, get it?

In fact, I knew it was wrong when I posted, but didn't take the
trouble to go to both locations in the post to correct "breath". That
was partly because I wasn't sure about "rite" either, so why go to so
much effort to get one word right when the other might still be wrong.

[snip]

Posted to alt.home.repair

IN your nostrils, not on top of them.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

: wrote:
:
: A couple one-inch pieces of 3/8" tubing will accomplish the
same thing.
: Reusable forever.
:
: How do I get it to stick to my nose?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:27:12 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]
Note that it's "breathe-rite".
Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

[snip]

http://www.breatheright.com/

It seems to be mostly intended for snoring. I don't think I snore,
but I do have trouble getting enough air when I'm running. Maybe I'll
stop running.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:54:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

IN your nostrils, not on top of them.

No, that's not how they work.

They are thin springy plastic, dogbone shaped strips, and one is used
at a time and it sticks to the outside of your nose.

Look at http://www.breatheright.com/ and you can see a picture of
these things on the top of almost every box, and you can see them on
the noses of the sleeping people, especiallly the guy. Totally
outside the nose.

The whole secret is the glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:51:43 -0400, "Postal68"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Duct Tape, the answer is ALWAYS duct tape ;-)

Although I hear duct tape is not that good for fixing heating ducts.

"Duct" tape is, the "duck tape" commonly found in big box stores is
useless for that application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:
: A couple one-inch pieces of 3/8" tubing will accomplish the
same thing.
: Reusable forever.
:
: How do I get it to stick to my nose?

IN your nostrils, not on top of them. Stick the tubing IN your
nose, so that it keeps the passage open. Are you deef, boy?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

..

: wrote:
:
: IN your nostrils, not on top of them.
:
: No, that's not how they work.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to mm :
I don't have major problems breathing, but sometimes I think
breath-rite strips would help while running and other exercising, and
even for sleeping. There is NO doubt that when I inhale strongly
through my nose, the passage on each side narrows substantially.

I use them occasionally. I really don't think they'd stay on
during exercise. Nor do I think they'd make much difference
during exercise even if they did stay on.

You should buy a pack and see if they do any good before trying
to replicate them.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breathe-rite strips

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:56:21 -0400, mm
wrote:

In fact, I knew it was wrong when I posted, but didn't take the
trouble to go to both locations in the post to correct "breath". That
was partly because I wasn't sure about "rite" either, so why go to so
much effort to get one word right when the other might still be wrong.

The thought process that you just described is disturbing, but it does
explain why so many people can't spell 'breathe'. The Internet was
intended to spread knowledge, but it is instead spreading ignorance.

Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

Among many people on the Internet, it is considered uncool to actually
know how to spell. My 2nd grade teacher contacted me by email a while
back. I remember that she did a good job teaching these kinds of
things. I suppose that many people didn't pay much attention in
elementary school.

Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ryan" wrote in message
Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

Yeah, that happens alot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:28:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

Yeah, that happens alot

It sure does happen ... a lot. (two separate words)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

In fact, I knew it was wrong when I posted, but didn't take the
trouble to go to both locations in the post to correct "breath". That
was partly because I wasn't sure about "rite" either, so why go to so
much effort to get one word right when the other might still be wrong.

The thought process that you just described is disturbing, but it does
explain why so many people can't spell 'breathe'. The Internet was
intended to spread knowledge, but it is instead spreading ignorance.

Don't let it disturb you too much. It's a trademark. It's not a real
word. Product names are very often spelled differently from the words
they are based on to make it easier to trademark them.

This has the side effect that it is harder to remember how the product
name is spelled than it is to remember how the English word is
spelled.

It also means that no one should imagine he can learn the proper
spelling of breathe or breath from a product trademark.

(It could have been spelled breeth-rite for all I knew. In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right", no "rite" at
all, both parts English words.)

Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

Among many people on the Internet, it is considered uncool to actually
know how to spell. My 2nd grade teacher contacted me by email a while
back. I remember that she did a good job teaching these kinds of
things. I suppose that many people didn't pay much attention in
elementary school.

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in message

Yeah, that happens alot

It sure does happen ... a lot. (two separate words)

Look up satire while your attit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right"

So it is surprising to you the manufacturer managed to correctly
spell it in a context that everyone can understand. Yet somehow - you
think the name of the product should be intentionally misspelled.
Interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:09:19 -0500, Nelson Muntz
wrote:

mm wrote:

In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right"

So it is surprising to you the manufacturer managed to correctly
spell it in a context that everyone can understand. Yet somehow - you
think the name of the product should be intentionally misspelled.
Interesting.

Based on observation, I think there are a lot more product names that
are misspelled than spelled correctly, so as to face fewer
difficulties enforcing a trademark, iiuc. There are many many
examples, such as all those products that use the syllable "rite".
Just a guess: maybe this is less of a problem with a two-word name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ryan wrote:
Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

It's not just on the 'net. It's all over. Idiot reporters pollute their
newspapers' spelling checkers with misspelled words that appear in print
for time to come. Television shows -- even television networks like
Nickelodeon -- misspell words chronically. (Nickelodeon likes to use
the adjective "everyday" in place of the adverb phrase "every day",
setting a wonderful example for their target audience of kids.)

--
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That's why stereo has two channels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right"

So it is surprising to you the manufacturer managed to correctly
spell it in a context that everyone can understand. Yet somehow - you
think the name of the product should be intentionally misspelled.
Interesting.

Based on observation, I think there are a lot more product names that
are misspelled than spelled correctly, so as to face fewer
difficulties enforcing a trademark, iiuc. There are many many
examples, such as all those products that use the syllable "rite".
Just a guess: maybe this is less of a problem with a two-word name.

I hope when I am your age there will be pills to counteract the lunacy
you live with.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

mm wrote:

In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right"

So it is surprising to you the manufacturer managed to correctly
spell it in a context that everyone can understand. Yet somehow - you
think the name of the product should be intentionally misspelled.
Interesting.

Based on observation, I think there are a lot more product names that
are misspelled than spelled correctly, so as to face fewer
difficulties enforcing a trademark, iiuc. There are many many
examples, such as all those products that use the syllable "rite".
Just a guess: maybe this is less of a problem with a two-word name.

I hope when I am your age there will be pills to counteract the lunacy
you live with.

You haven't noticed what I describe? You dno't notice it now? You
have to be kidding!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ryan writes:

Among many people on the Internet, it is considered uncool to actually
know how to spell. My 2nd grade teacher contacted me by email a while
back. I remember that she did a good job teaching these kinds of
things. I suppose that many people didn't pay much attention in
elementary school.

It's worse than that. I used to be an excellent speller, but reading
Usenet postings has desensitized me to common errors like incorrect use
of it's vs. its. So now I sometimes make the same errors in my writing
and don't catch them because they no longer stand out like a sore thumb
the way they used to.

Sadly, I also see newspapers and magazines with the same errors, as well
as cases where someone clearly picked an entirely wrong word from the
list that their spelling checker presented to them. Computers make
lousy proofreaders because they don't understand what they're
"reading".

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:06:28 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
Martindale) wrote:

Ryan writes:

[...]

I know what you are saying. I've seen so many dopes use 'definately'
that I have to think twice as I spell it correctly.

Seeing poor grammar and spelling in major publications is a very
disturbing sign, and I have seen the source of it. A local high
school teacher participates in several online chat rooms, and she
can't construct a decent English sentence to save her life.

There is a shortage of teachers in our small town. They must have
lowered their standards in order to attract some of the ones that they
have. How many other teachers are there like that
grammatically-challenged one? What chance do their students have?

I have seen the future, and it is stupid.

Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Individuals make decisions on sounds in English (or Americanese)...and
are very often wrong.
The then and than "thing" is an easily understood concept. One is time
the other degree or comparison. So, it bugs me too...when I see it.

pz

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

[snip]
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

One's a noun, the others a verb.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:41:01 -0400, mm
wrote:

Maybe not for you, but my nose really closes down a lot when I breath

Oops. Breathe. An unusual word, one must admit. There may be one
but offhand I can't think of another noun that becomes a verb by
adding an 'e'.

in. I would think they would help. I've thought of being resigned to
breathing through my mouth, but I think I heard that was bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe not for you, but my nose really closes down a lot when I breath

Oops. Breathe. An unusual word, one must admit. There may be one
but offhand I can't think of another noun that becomes a verb by
adding an 'e'.

If you think of the 'th' pair as a single letter,
it makes perfect sense. The trailing E
modifies the pronunciation of the preceding
vowel sound, making it long. Mop, mope,
cap, cape, breath, breathe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe not for you, but my nose really closes down a lot when I breath

Oops. Breathe. An unusual word, one must admit. There may be one
but offhand I can't think of another noun that becomes a verb by
adding an 'e'.

Bath, for one.

in. I would think they would help. I've thought of being resigned to
breathing through my mouth, but I think I heard that was bad.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

One's a noun, the others a verb.

True. However people do mix up which is which.

Dave

BTW, I checked www.dictionary.com and found no definitions of "breath"
as a verb. Where are all these coming from?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have ideas about how to make breath-rite strips myself?

Note that it's "breathe-rite".

Darn. No wonder I haven't been able to make one.

Since that error is so common, I've wondered if it was really correct.
I've looked in a lot of dictionaries and never found one where
"breath" spells breathe. What is your source for that information?

[snip]
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

One's a noun, the others a verb.

Dave

"One's a noun, the other's a verb." Sorry, couldn't resist!