Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Breathe-rite strips

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:14:43 -0400, Ryan wrote:

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:56:21 -0400, mm
wrote:

In fact, I knew it was wrong when I posted, but didn't take the
trouble to go to both locations in the post to correct "breath". That
was partly because I wasn't sure about "rite" either, so why go to so
much effort to get one word right when the other might still be wrong.

The thought process that you just described is disturbing, but it does
explain why so many people can't spell 'breathe'. The Internet was
intended to spread knowledge, but it is instead spreading ignorance.

Don't let it disturb you too much. It's a trademark. It's not a real
word. Product names are very often spelled differently from the words
they are based on to make it easier to trademark them.

This has the side effect that it is harder to remember how the product
name is spelled than it is to remember how the English word is
spelled.

It also means that no one should imagine he can learn the proper
spelling of breathe or breath from a product trademark.

(It could have been spelled breeth-rite for all I knew. In fact,
suprisingly imo, the product is named "breathe-right", no "rite" at
all, both parts English words.)

Only on the Internet is 'definately' considered a real word. Primarily
on the Internet, people don't know the difference between 'then' and
'than'.

Among many people on the Internet, it is considered uncool to actually
know how to spell. My 2nd grade teacher contacted me by email a while
back. I remember that she did a good job teaching these kinds of
things. I suppose that many people didn't pay much attention in
elementary school.

Ryan