Cycle

Default Breath-Easy Face Mask Wanted

I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting loft
insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to breath
easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve and
fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more
expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter
cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:29:53 -0000, "Cycle"
wrote:

I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting loft
insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to breath
easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve and
fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more
expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter
cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

I use a 3M one with appropriate cartridges for the job.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

3M 3000, 4000 or 6000 series. Sensible price, good valves for easy
breathing, good choice of filters.

The better ones use replaceable filters, so they last much longer. You
can also buy a fixed-filter version (B&Q carry them) that's OK for
limited or one-off use. For more money you can get full-face or
silicone versions. Silicone is worth it if you're doing real work in
a hot loft over the summer.

After use, remember to wash the sweat out of the inside, to let it dry
properly and (especially for the fixed-filter versions) to store it
back in the drawstring bag. As with anything made of rubber and
elastic, store it out of sunlight.

Cheapest full-face masks for use with fibreglass or other solvents,
rather than dust, are ex-military masks. Go for a British S10 and
avoid the Soviet masks - they use a rubber "head bag" that's a pain to
get on and off - although it does keep your hair clean, if you're
working with your head in a bucket. NB - real S10 filters are grey
plastic with a big hole, not black metal with little holes - those are
training filters, they're probably worn out and didn't work well in
the first place.

--
Smert' spamionam
MikeS

wrote:

I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting
loft
insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to
breath
easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve and
fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more
expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter
cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

I use a 3M one with appropriate cartridges for the job.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

the reason why are gasping when doing light physical work with a cheap mask
is because with each breath you leave a little carbon di oxide this buils up
and is this that makes the automatic nerviose system

MikeS

wrote:

I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting
loft
insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to
breath
easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve and
fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more
expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter
cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

I use a 3M one with appropriate cartridges for the job.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dear All,
Using a cheap mask will make you gasp when doing light physical work.
because of the build up of carbon di oxide. as you take a breath a little
carbon di oxide is left behind and this gradualy builds up. As it is the
build up of carbon di oxide which stimulates breathing not necessarrily the
lack of oxegen. So a good mask has a one way valve which will only let fresh
air in via the filter used air out directly to the out side thus you do not
get a build up of carbon di oxide.

Basic Biology.

MikeS

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:03:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

Go for a British S10 ...

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced. You can even get prescription
lenses, though I'm not sure how easy that would be for a civy. I can't
decide if asking in your local "specsavers" will be met with a blank
look or "Yes sir, no problem, bring in the mask and we can cut the
lenses to fit".

NB - real S10 filters are grey plastic with a big hole, not black
metal with little holes - those are training filters, they're
probably worn out and didn't work well in the first place.

Can't remember what the ones where issued with during Gulf War I where
like. But anyway they should be supplied in hard vacum sealed foil
packs not open.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

G&M

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:03:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

Go for a British S10 ...

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced. You can even get prescription
lenses, though I'm not sure how easy that would be for a civy. I can't
decide if asking in your local "specsavers" will be met with a blank
look or "Yes sir, no problem, bring in the mask and we can cut the
lenses to fit".

Probably not - but a good local optician who deals with companies should be
able to help

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:09:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Go for a British S10 ...

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced. You can even get prescription
lenses, though I'm not sure how easy that would be for a civy.

Dead easy - just ask Avon. They're not much use though - they only
work well on one axis, because they're so far from the eye. For
general use (as opposed to marksmanship) you're better off using a
pince-nez insert on the inside. I can use my Bolle one (normally on
my cycling glasses) perfectly well.

If you really need to wear your own spectacles though, find either an
S6 mask or an American one. They have more "frame space" and the S6
has a better edge seal that's workable with thin frames (except for
nerve agents).

BTW - if you ever see a set of "fly eye" dark lens covers for an S10,
or the nomex fire hood, then snap it up. eBay collectors go insane for
these, because of the "SAS" association.
--
Smert' spamionam
Cycle

Thank you all for your helpful comments; I shall try out your suggestions.

Regards

Cycle.

Mark Begbie

"Cycle" wrote in message ...
Thank you all for your helpful comments; I shall try out your suggestions.

Regards

Cycle.

I got a silicone half-mask from RS as a slightly lower cost
alternative to the 3M masks. RS also do the filter cartridges. So
far been very please with it - a lot of brick and plaster dust.

http://rswww.com/ part no 228-7877

A smidge over £15 for the mask.

Cycle

"Mark Begbie" wrote in message
m...
"Cycle" wrote in message
Thank you all for your helpful comments; I shall try out your
suggestions.

Regards

Cycle.

I got a silicone half-mask from RS as a slightly lower cost
alternative to the 3M masks. RS also do the filter cartridges. So
far been very please with it - a lot of brick and plaster dust.

http://rswww.com/ part no 228-7877

A smidge over £15 for the mask.

Thank you for the detailed reference.

Regards

Cycle.

PeteK

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:03:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

Go for a British S10 ...

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced.

I would second that I use a S10, for good fit & protection. Spend many a
hour masked!

Badger

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:03:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

Go for a British S10 ...

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced. You can even get prescription
lenses, though I'm not sure how easy that would be for a civy. I can't
decide if asking in your local "specsavers" will be met with a blank
look or "Yes sir, no problem, bring in the mask and we can cut the
lenses to fit".

Or try ARCO, the full face ones they sell are based on B.A. masks and
have the fittings for short arm (stay inside the seal) specs....
John Woodhall

"Cycle" wrote in message
I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting
loft insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to
breath easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve
and fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more
expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter
cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

Unfortunately due to the nature of the mask the resistance to your breathing
increases. You are having to suck air through a filter and also tubing
instead of just straight in. This makes your lungs work harder, the only way
around this is to wear powered respirators or positive pressure breathing
apparatus. Both I suspect would be vastly over expensive and overkill for
your needs. Look for a mask with 2 filters instead of one and you will get
the least resistance. HTH

easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Does The 3M Woodworking Dusk Mask Irritate Your Throat? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 06:35 PM
Neander question: face "jointing" and thickness planing Dennis M. O'Connor Woodworking 6 September 19th 03 08:14 AM