Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpenter Bees and Redwood Fence Posts

I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when
two of the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside
a knothole in the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't
too aggressive, simply floated at my eye level and watched me
until they'd decided I wasn't a threat. One was blonde, the other
black. Judging by what I've found through google, the blonde is a
male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it
cracked loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred
method for evicting said colony?

Many thanks.

The Ranger
---
[Our] butchers used to say the only thing on an animal they
couldn't recycle was the squeal of a pig and the moo of a cow.
strider, afb, 10/Jul/2005

Posted to alt.home.repair
cc cc is offline

On Apr 20, 11:26 am, "The Ranger" wrote:
[...]

Easy..go to doyourownpestcontrol.com..call the support number, tell
them what you have, they will tell you what you need to kill em..have
had recuring paper wasp problems for years, paid normal pest control
companies, did not work..used their stuff, not a single wasp to be
seen..excellent and works and people are knowledgeable..do yourself a
favor and do it right and cheaper..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud Bud is offline

"The Ranger" wrote in message
I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when two of
the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside a knothole in
the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't too aggressive, simply
floated at my eye level and watched me until they'd decided I wasn't a
threat. One was blonde, the other black. Judging by what I've found through
google, the blonde is a male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it cracked
loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred method for
evicting said colony?

they are harmless except for the holes they bore. and with all the bees
disappearing they are taking up polinating duties left over. they may save
our lives

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:26:42 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when
two of the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside
a knothole in the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't
too aggressive, simply floated at my eye level and watched me
until they'd decided I wasn't a threat. One was blonde, the other
black. Judging by what I've found through google, the blonde is a
male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it
cracked loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred
method for evicting said colony?

Many thanks.

Lysol and a match. Thump the post until they come out again,
and torch the black one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to The Ranger :
I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when
two of the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside
a knothole in the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't
too aggressive, simply floated at my eye level and watched me
until they'd decided I wasn't a threat. One was blonde, the other
black. Judging by what I've found through google, the blonde is a
male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it
cracked loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred
method for evicting said colony?

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef611.htm

The males do not have a sting. Females generally won't
sting except during nest construction or if you outright handle
them.

I do not think carpenter bees make colonies. They're solitary
bees like bumble bees. If you really have to, a single shot
into the hole with creeping insect killer would probably
do the trick.

Given how tame these bees usually are, with a little care
you might be able to remove the post without killing them,
and park the post somewhere out of the way. Try this
on a cool night when they're lethargic.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Chris Lewis wrote:

I do not think carpenter bees make colonies. They're solitary
bees like bumble bees. If you really have to, a single shot
into the hole with creeping insect killer would probably
do the trick.

Just some FYI..actually bumble bees are social. They create a wax comb
and honey like honey bees, just not the quantity of honey bees.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've found 'fixing' would just mean the carpenter bees would return.
So I've changed my approach, and dust the holes with an insecticide.
This way probing females get sick and leave. Once the ladies leave,
the guys leave too.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Wood bees/Carpenter Bees Problem Stephanie S. Cunningham Home Repair 11 March 26th 07 08:48 PM
Carpenter bees [email protected] Home Repair 11 April 9th 06 03:37 AM
carpenter bees willim Woodworking 7 December 29th 05 12:04 AM
Making a Redwood Fence Last F.H. Home Repair 14 December 17th 05 08:38 PM
Carpenter Bees HELP ChrisGW Home Repair 24 April 10th 05 12:57 AM