ChrisGW

Default Carpenter Bees HELP

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

Thanks in advance

ChrisGW

Harry Everhart

ChrisGW wrote:
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or
anything
else to stop them?

Get a badmitton raquet - they are fun to hit - they can't see the
strings with their eyes and ears. They also return to birth home like
salmon - so they will be back unless you kill them.
HeyBub

ChrisGW wrote:
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten
right through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the
paint or anything else to stop them?

Thanks in advance

They don't EAT the wood - they just DRILL it to lay their eggs.

Carpenter bees are harmless.

Doug Kanter

"HeyBub" wrote in message
ChrisGW wrote:
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten
right through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the
paint or anything else to stop them?

Thanks in advance

They don't EAT the wood - they just DRILL it to lay their eggs.

Carpenter bees are harmless.

Right, except that the holes they open up expose the wood to the elements
internally.

Hopkins

Gotta kill 'em. The best stuff I've found is TAT [check MAB or
Sherwin-Williams].

Doug Miller

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
ChrisGW wrote:
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten
right through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the
paint or anything else to stop them?

Thanks in advance

They don't EAT the wood - they just DRILL it to lay their eggs.

Carpenter bees are harmless.

Like hell they're harmless - they damage wooden structures by drilling holes
in them. Sometimes those holes go pretty deep. It can significantly weaken the
wood.

--
Regards,

stretch

Chris,
I just wait for them to fly in the hole, then put wood putty or
silicone in the hole while they are in there. The buzz like hell for a
while, then die. Silicone works the best, they sometimes drill back
out through the wood putty :-).
(Payback Time!)

Stretch

Lar

In article , newsgroups1
@hotmail.com says...
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

Oil based paints is usually needed. For the existing holes any
insecticide that you can get in the chambers should work. Do it at
night so you know she is home.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
John Harlow

Oil based paints is usually needed. For the existing holes any
insecticide that you can get in the chambers should work. Do it at
night so you know she is home.

"She"? It's a *chick*? Aw, bummer, dood.

R Thompson

"ChrisGW" wrote in message
My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten

right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or

anything
else to stop them?

Thanks in advance

ChrisGW

We had them in our fence at old house. I used my old two-cycle weed trimmer
on them. The gas was mixed with a little too much oil so it smoked pretty
good. The smoke seemed to draw the bees out of the fence and shrubs they
liked and I'd get the trimmer going pretty good and take them on. There was
something quite satisfying about hearing one of them smack into the house or
fence.

I know, it wasn't the safest way to get them, but it was more fun just
spaying insecticide on them.

The Real Tom

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:52:26 -0400, ChrisGW
wrote:

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

Fire, and lots of it!

Oh, sorry fire is my answer for everything, car troubles, bills, etc.

I've been told, there are a number of powers on the market. You squirt
them into the holes, and the power attaches it self to teh bees and
kill them. With time, the bees already there, and the ones trying to
get in will drop down. This will allow you to reseal all the holes
and paint again.

In the future, keep an eye on the shed, as soon as you see one whole
you squirt it.

I've once heard this advice, make a fake whole and keep it filled with
the powder. New incoming bees will check it out, and kill themselves.
This way your shed is protected.

hth,

tom

Thanks in advance

ChrisGW

Goedjn

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

I discommend killing them. These days, the world needs all the
pollinators it can get. Try an epoxy/enamel type paint that
isn't designed to chalk. (boat paint, maybe?)

--Goedjn
Duane Bozarth

Goedjn wrote:

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

I discommend killing them. These days, the world needs all the
pollinators it can get. Try an epoxy/enamel type paint that
isn't designed to chalk. (boat paint, maybe?)

Carpenter bees aren't particularly useful as pollinators and definitely
destructive of structures. I'll agree as a general proposition, but
eliminating them from structural members is about the only successful
approach I've found--simply plugging existing holes, etc., has ime, only
caused them to move and start over again. Eliminating a particular
nesting colony, otoh, has tended to have better success as it's easier
to stop a new small colonization as opposed to an established one.

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc., ...

The Real Tom

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:57:05 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or anything
else to stop them?

I discommend killing them. These days, the world needs all the
pollinators it can get. Try an epoxy/enamel type paint that

I have to agree, but not these bees. I would be so happy to have
mason bees verses these 'hoving monsters'. The are very teritorial,
and just walking around my yard, usually means I have to duck way to
many times.

tom

isn't designed to chalk. (boat paint, maybe?)

--Goedjn

HeyBub

Gary and Karla wrote:
Harmless? What do you think love to eat their eggs. Pileated
woodpeckers. My fascia has been destroyed.

Go ahead, blame the victim.

Bob G.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:48:52 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

snip snip.........
I have problems with carpenter bees ..have for the last 5-6 years...

Problems with two outbuildings... a Wood shop and a Garage...NOT the
house... and only on the trim on those buildings

For some reason...the bees only do thier thing on wood that was
painted a dark color in my case... Brown The house has white trim

So 2 years ago when I painted the woodshop I changed the trim to
white...(not because of the bee problem ) BUT the bees just stopped
attaching the building .. .end of the bee problem ....

Have no idea why..But the garage is getting painted this year and you
bet the trim will be change to white...

Not a Scientific observation..But what can I say.....

Bob Griffiths
Doug Kanter

wrote:

snip snip.........
I have problems with carpenter bees ..have for the last 5-6 years...

Problems with two outbuildings... a Wood shop and a Garage...NOT the
house... and only on the trim on those buildings

For some reason...the bees only do thier thing on wood that was
painted a dark color in my case... Brown The house has white trim

So 2 years ago when I painted the woodshop I changed the trim to
white...(not because of the bee problem ) BUT the bees just stopped
attaching the building .. .end of the bee problem ....

Have no idea why..But the garage is getting painted this year and you
bet the trim will be change to white...

Not a Scientific observation..But what can I say.....

Bob Griffiths

Maybe the dark colors look more like tree bark to the bees. They must've
burrowed somewhere before people began building dwellings. Probably trees.
:-)

Goedjn

So 2 years ago when I painted the woodshop I changed the trim to
white...(not because of the bee problem ) BUT the bees just stopped
attaching the building .. .end of the bee problem ....

Have no idea why..But the garage is getting painted this year and you
bet the trim will be change to white...

Not a Scientific observation..But what can I say.....

Try Pale blue. No bee is going to plant eggs in the sky.

Doug Kanter

"tm" wrote in message
In article "John?] wrote:
tm wrote:
The Real Tom wrote:

I have to agree, but not these bees. I would be so happy to have
mason bees verses these 'hoving monsters'. The are very teritorial,
and just walking around my yard, usually means I have to duck way to
many times.

Badminton racket.

Your response brought a smile.

My dad died in 1990 and he kept a badminton racquet hanging on a nail
just outside the back door.

Don't all sensible homeowners?

He often commented on the satisfying
"Ping" that a carpenter bee made as he fired it over the fence into the
neighbors yard. Their tendency to hover in one spot makes them an easy
target.

It so beats the running-out-with-the-caulk-gun method. Plus, the
neighbors see you wailing away at nothing with a badminton racket and
think twice about tossing their yard debris over your fence.

Thank you. You just gave me a fantastic idea with regard to neighborhood
dogs and their low-life owners. This could really help my image problem.
I've been looking for a new way to project insanity. :-)

The Real Tom

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:29:00 GMT, "John‰]*
************************************************** *************"
wrote:

In article , tm
wrote:

The Real Tom wrote:
Goedjn wrote:

My shed is being eaten by bees. How do you stop them? They have eaten
right
through the paint. Is there something that you can add to the paint or
anything
else to stop them?

I discommend killing them. These days, the world needs all the
pollinators it can get. Try an epoxy/enamel type paint that

I have to agree, but not these bees. I would be so happy to have
mason bees verses these 'hoving monsters'. The are very teritorial,
and just walking around my yard, usually means I have to duck way to
many times.

Badminton racket.

Your response brought a smile.

My dad died in 1990 and he kept a badminton racquet hanging on a nail
just outside the back door. He often commented on the satisfying
"Ping" that a carpenter bee made as he fired it over the fence into the
neighbors yard. Their tendency to hover in one spot makes them an easy
target.

John

HA HA HA!

Now this story made me laugh!

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

MUADIB®

Badminton racket.

I've also used a broom with a slightly shorter than normal handle.

Funny thing is , instea of launching them , it seemd to "shatter"
them............just a puff of bee parts. every now and again, one
wouldn't shatter, but would hit the fence so hard it shattered him.

Either way was good for me. I had to remove the old fence and start
over because of the bees...........

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html