Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud Bud is offline

Default Carpenter Bees and Redwood Fence Posts

"The Ranger" wrote in message
I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when two of
the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside a knothole in
the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't too aggressive, simply
floated at my eye level and watched me until they'd decided I wasn't a
threat. One was blonde, the other black. Judging by what I've found through
google, the blonde is a male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it cracked
loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred method for
evicting said colony?

they are harmless except for the holes they bore. and with all the bees
disappearing they are taking up polinating duties left over. they may save
our lives