Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger The Ranger is offline

Default Carpenter Bees and Redwood Fence Posts

I was at the side yard, opening the gate to put away my mower when
two of the largest bees I've ever encountered flew out from inside
a knothole in the lower portion of the 4"X4" post. They weren't
too aggressive, simply floated at my eye level and watched me
until they'd decided I wasn't a threat. One was blonde, the other
black. Judging by what I've found through google, the blonde is a
male and the black female.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/carpenter.html

Since I'd rather _not_ get stung removing the fence post (it
cracked loudly when I opened the gate), is there some preferred
method for evicting said colony?

Many thanks.

The Ranger
---
[Our] butchers used to say the only thing on an animal they
couldn't recycle was the squeal of a pig and the moo of a cow.
strider, afb, 10/Jul/2005