Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Pool liner creases

We have an ingound pool. Because of a hole in the vinyl liner I
drained the pool then patched it. Actually I noticed the leak in the
fall. At that time though it was too cold to have a patch hold (we're
in Canada). As I refill it I notice there are creases on the bottom
floor. Is this a problem? Will they flatten out as more water goes in?
Also in certain places (especially by the stairs in the shallow end)
the liner appears stretched faily taught I'm worried the liner might
pop out from the top as more water is added.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike E. Fullerton wrote:
We have an ingound pool. Because of a hole in the vinyl liner I
drained the pool then patched it. Actually I noticed the leak in the
fall. At that time though it was too cold to have a patch hold (we're
in Canada). As I refill it I notice there are creases on the bottom
floor. Is this a problem? Will they flatten out as more water goes in?
Also in certain places (especially by the stairs in the shallow end)
the liner appears stretched faily taught I'm worried the liner might
pop out from the top as more water is added.

Actually, you should back up and restart, straightening the liner while it's
still movable, beofre the water gets too heavy on it.
The creases aren't the bad part, but they are stressing the material
where it's bent sharply. The stretching, and that's a typical place to find
it, is an indicator of misalignment though, and will result in thin, hole
prone places in the bottom, in addition to pulling the liner from its
holders at the top. Because of this, you might want to check all the sides
to be sure the liner will grip into the holders, too.
I assume you have a hopper; that should also be drained, as you probably
have to pull the lineup up out of it a little to relieve the stretch at the
shallow end hear the steps. Check to be sure the cross-seam where the
hopper starts is as straight a line as possible and as perfectly lined up at
the hopper start as possible.
It could be hard to do: you might have to break the suction of the liner
against tyhe sides to move it far enough; IF that part moved, too.