Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint cracks and peels in bathroom

Hi!

I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was
built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner
wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi-
gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have
any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from
cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and
primer up there.

Many thanks in advance.

Rose

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Apr 2007 07:38:10 -0700, Rose wrote:

Hi!

I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was
built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner
wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi-
gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have
any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from
cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and
primer up there.

Many thanks in advance.

Rose

HAve you checked for dampness in the attic above?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 11:39 am, Goedjn wrote:
On 17 Apr 2007 07:38:10 -0700, Rose wrote:

Hi!

I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was
built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner
wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi-
gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have
any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from
cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and
primer up there.

Many thanks in advance.

Rose

HAve you checked for dampness in the attic above?

I'll have my husband check that. Thanks for the idea.

Rose

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rose wrote:
Hi!

I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was
built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner
wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi-
gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have
any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from
cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and
primer up there.

Many thanks in advance.

Rose

Does it peel down to the plaster or wallboard? If so, it might have a
leak behind or above it. If not, the old paint surface might be soapy
or dirty or too glossy. If it is cracking only in the corner joint, it
likely needs paintable caulk (not patching compound).

Possible the wall is damaged from an old leak and deteriorating to the
point it won't hold paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 7:38 am, Rose wrote:
Hi!

I have a bathroom that I am attempting to remodel in a house that was
built rather cheaply in the early 1960's. I have a ceiling corner
wall that refuses to take paint. I've applied primer as well as semi-
gloss paint only to have the paint crack and peel. Does anyone have
any idea as to what causes this and how I can keep the paint from
cracking and peeling? I've put a good coat of quality paint and
primer up there.

Many thanks in advance.

Rose

If there is no leak, I would try sanding, then some Kilz primer and
then paint a small section to see if it holds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would first clean the surface, then sand it, then prime, then paint.

The best paint to use in a bathroom ? woodglass UK diy 8 October 4th 06 05:29 PM
bathroom paint zackde Home Repair 5 April 28th 05 06:01 AM
repairing cracks ceiling in bathroom Konyoman Home Repair 2 March 6th 05 05:28 PM
Paint Blistering - Bathroom Alan Home Repair 29 January 20th 05 12:08 PM
Paint "mud cracks" after polybond Chris UK diy 10 March 27th 04 06:45 PM