Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Question (Exterior) Regarding How To Obtain Uniformity

Hello:

We are having new siding put up on only 3 sides of house.
Will have to match the paint color for the painting of the new siding
against what is presently on the side that
is not to be re-sided.

Will use a piece of the old siding as a color match which, I'm told, they
can do very accurately at the paint stores using a
"photometric" device.

How true is this; a "real good" match to be expected ?

What I'm also interested in before I have any painters over is the
following:

I'm assuming that at the paint store they (can) only mix up the colors for 1
gal cans at a time with the correct pigment (on the basis of the
photometer).

So, how does one insure that all the cans they do this way are really
identical ?
It's hard to believe that if each can is done individually, there are not
dslight ifferences in shade, etc., no matter how accurately the pigments are
dispensed.

Can they do, e.g., a larger volume than 1 gal (at a time) ?

Or, does one insist that the painter mix in a large jug at least 5 gallons
or so, so that at least each side of the house is identical and uniform ?

How is this "problem" usually handled, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Apr 16, 12:47 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Are you painting 1 side of old stuff to match the new, or painting 3
sides of new to match the old?? I hope its the former!

HD or Lowes can very accurately match using the gizmo they have in the
store. I have done exactly what you describe. But bring in the NEW
siding, not the old!! The old siding has faded, worn, dirty, etc.
You want to bring in a sample of the new stuff that will be going on
the house. Make the mixer guy put some of the mixed batch on your
sample, let dry and compare for yourself. Take it outside if
necessary to check in sunlight vs fluorescents. If its not right,
make him do over.

If you're concerned about uniformity between cans, take your 1 gallon
cans and mix into a clean 5 gal drum.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

We are having new siding put up on only 3 sides of house.
Will have to match the paint color for the painting of the new siding
against what is presently on the side that
is not to be re-sided.

Will use a piece of the old siding as a color match which, I'm told, they
can do very accurately at the paint stores using a
"photometric" device.

How true is this; a "real good" match to be expected ?

If the paint store does its job correct you can not tell the differance in
the colors. I has some siding put up and windows wood covered. Went to the
store with a sample of the new siding. He mixed it up, put a dab on the
sample and used a blow drier on it. You could only tell the differance in
the paint if yo looked very close and could see a differance in the heigth
of the material. If it was not for that , you could not tell where the
paint and siding started and stopped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 11:47 am, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Your questions - In order:

I love Sherwin Williams for paint. My local store went to electronic
color matching about two years ago. They do a really good job.

They can generally do paint in single gallons or 5 gallon buckets.
The computer does the math and dispenses the pigments. It is accurate
enough where you cannot tell the difference between one bucket and the
next. If you are concerned about uniformity, you could mix all the
paint together to even it out, but i doubt you could tell the
difference between batches.

Unfortunately, especially if you live in a climate where you get lots
of sun, even the best paint will fade over the next few years. Your
old siding has already faded a bit, so the new paint is likely to fade
faster than the old, creating a difference over time. Thinking about
selling soon? :-)

JK