Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Question on exterior painting

We are in the process of interviewing painters and we came across a
painter that sounds pretty good in the respect that he's willing to
guarantee his work when none that I've talked with were willing to do
so. However, he claimed that spraying the paint on was better than
brushing the paint on. I'm not sure of this. He also mentioned that
primer doesn't need to be used over the entire house - only on bare
wood - however, he stated that he will most likely use primer on our
entire house. I'm not sure this is a good idea either. His other
methods were sound (pressure washing, scraping). Anybody have
experience with paint being sprayed on and it's longevity when applied
in that manner.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

" writes:
We are in the process of interviewing painters and we came across a
painter that sounds pretty good in the respect that he's willing to
guarantee his work when none that I've talked with were willing to do
so. However, he claimed that spraying the paint on was better than
brushing the paint on. I'm not sure of this. He also mentioned that
primer doesn't need to be used over the entire house - only on bare
wood - however, he stated that he will most likely use primer on our
entire house. I'm not sure this is a good idea either. His other
methods were sound (pressure washing, scraping). Anybody have
experience with paint being sprayed on and it's longevity when applied
in that manner.

Seems to work well for all the cars out there on the road. :-)

My concern would be one of potential overspray, and how they manage
that. Outside with wind, this could be quite a problem. Spraying can
also lead to more waste for certain surfaces (fences, for example),
but if he's specing the job as a whole, that's his problem and not
yours.

Durability of finish, as I recall, has much less to do with method of
application than it has to do with paint quality and method of surface
preparation.

Did he state why spraying on was better? The typical reason for it is
that it can be easier and faster. You obviously don't get brush marks
which is a nice plus, but typically on an exterior that isn't an issue
because seldom are people close enough to scrutinize and even if they
were, the wood's rough texture makes it a non-issue.

As for primer, it's true that primer is strictly only something
required by bare wood, or it can be an inexpensive coating to help
cover up a bigger color change.

As for preparation methods, I'm out of my depth there. I had a cedar
sided brown house and I put a high quality dutch lap vinyl siding
over that with board insulation behind it and kissed my exterior
painting days goodbye! But in that neighborhood, that worked.
Obviously there are styles of house where maintenance of a natural
finish is desired, and some folks just can't stand vinyl no matter how
good it is.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks very much for your response. It's quite helpful.

Did he state why spraying on was better? - He stated that the spray
paint goes into the cracks, etc. better.

My concern would be one of potential overspray, and how they manage
that. - That's my concern also. I'll have to ask him about this. The
neighbors are too close and they just bought a new truck - don't want
paint getting on that.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mad hatter®

On 6 Apr 2006 10:50:03 -0700, "
wrote:

We are in the process of interviewing painters and we came across a
painter that sounds pretty good in the respect that he's willing to
guarantee his work when none that I've talked with were willing to do
so. However, he claimed that spraying the paint on was better than
brushing the paint on. I'm not sure of this. He also mentioned that
primer doesn't need to be used over the entire house - only on bare
wood - however, he stated that he will most likely use primer on our
entire house. I'm not sure this is a good idea either. His other
methods were sound (pressure washing, scraping). Anybody have
experience with paint being sprayed on and it's longevity when applied
in that manner.

Why don't you go to your local paint store and ask them first. As I
recall spray covers better without marks too. I agree that overspray
might be a concern if cars are less than 30 feet away. If you are
really worried about that, talk to your neighbor and ask if he can
either park his car in the garage or if you can cover it up to protect
it from paint spray. In my neighborhood, the pros spray paint and
the houses are about 25 feet apart (eyeball) tho most driveways are
much farther apart. I had my house spray painted and after about 5
years, it still looks fresh. I would be concerned with the brand of
paint as well as the prep work.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the process of interviewing painters and we came across a
painter that sounds pretty good in the respect that he's willing to
guarantee his work when none that I've talked with were willing to do
so. However, he claimed that spraying the paint on was better than
brushing the paint on. I'm not sure of this. He also mentioned that
primer doesn't need to be used over the entire house - only on bare
wood - however, he stated that he will most likely use primer on our
entire house. I'm not sure this is a good idea either. His other
methods were sound (pressure washing, scraping). Anybody have
experience with paint being sprayed on and it's longevity when applied
in that manner.

another issue is to be sure that he is insured. if he gets injured on
your property......

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM