Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Painting Question

We have contractors painting the exterior of our house. The primer is
on and they have begun putting on the final coat of the trim. The day
they put the trim on, they were here only 2-3 hrs. They claimed they
put 2 coats of paint on within that time frame. The can states to allow
4 hrs drying time between each coat. The painter stated that since it
was 90 degrees that day, the paint dryed quickly. Personally, it was 78
degrees that day. We are sure of this because we have been closely
watching the temperature. I want to make sure the preparation and
painting is done properly. Is it common practice and is it still
acceptable to put paint on so soon after the first coat? The last time
we had the house painted we were burned big time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M.Paul

It's done all the time. If the painted surface is exposed to the sun, it's
probably ready for a second coat within 30 minutes or less.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have contractors painting the exterior of our house. The primer is
on and they have begun putting on the final coat of the trim. The day
they put the trim on, they were here only 2-3 hrs. They claimed they
put 2 coats of paint on within that time frame. The can states to allow
4 hrs drying time between each coat. The painter stated that since it
was 90 degrees that day, the paint dryed quickly. Personally, it was 78
degrees that day. We are sure of this because we have been closely
watching the temperature. I want to make sure the preparation and
painting is done properly. Is it common practice and is it still
acceptable to put paint on so soon after the first coat? The last time
we had the house painted we were burned big time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Painting in the sun or a hot surface is a big No, just read any exterior
paint can instruction.

So I guess you were not home, Its hard to say, how many guys worked,
how much trim.

For proof Sherwin Williams will send a sample wood piece to their lab
and measure milimeter build thickness, it might cost you, and you have
to say is SW paint. But 3 hrs on a house, 2 coats?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

M.Paul wrote:
It's done all the time. If the painted surface is exposed to the sun, it's
probably ready for a second coat within 30 minutes or less.

Sure fire way to end up with blistering and peeling because the paints
dries on the surface without allowing evap of solvent beneath. Should
never paint in hot sun for that reason. Instructions on paint labels
are usually there for a good reason.

wrote in message
oups.com...

We have contractors painting the exterior of our house. The primer is
on and they have begun putting on the final coat of the trim. The day
they put the trim on, they were here only 2-3 hrs. They claimed they
put 2 coats of paint on within that time frame. The can states to allow
4 hrs drying time between each coat. The painter stated that since it
was 90 degrees that day, the paint dryed quickly. Personally, it was 78
degrees that day. We are sure of this because we have been closely
watching the temperature. I want to make sure the preparation and
painting is done properly. Is it common practice and is it still
acceptable to put paint on so soon after the first coat? The last time
we had the house painted we were burned big time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Here in Arizona we paint through the summer in tempratures exeeding 110
degrees. We don't have problems regaurdless of what the can says.

cm

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Painting in the sun or a hot surface is a big No, just read any exterior
paint can instruction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

unfortunately the monday morning quarterback is not the coach who was
on the job. even if you had work phase movies from the security cameras
you wouldn't see enough detail to determine if each helper was properly
applying the paint. when you must choose between vacation time for
vacations and vacation time for home repairs, sometimes it's easier to
paint one side of the house each year on your weekends and take the
fifth year off. perhaps an expert can determine whether your home has
a particular coat of paint or just a coat of "oops we missed that
spot"...

wrote:
We have contractors painting the exterior of our house. The primer is
on and they have begun putting on the final coat of the trim. The day
they put the trim on, they were here only 2-3 hrs. They claimed they
put 2 coats of paint on within that time frame. The can states to allow
4 hrs drying time between each coat. The painter stated that since it
was 90 degrees that day, the paint dryed quickly. Personally, it was 78
degrees that day. We are sure of this because we have been closely
watching the temperature. I want to make sure the preparation and
painting is done properly. Is it common practice and is it still
acceptable to put paint on so soon after the first coat? The last time
we had the house painted we were burned big time.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM