Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Painting Question ?

Hello:

This summer, will be having a new clapboard siding job on my house.
(Cedar siding will be coming pre-primed; oil)

Painting it will be two coats of Latex.

Question: How long between the first and second paint coat should one wait
?
Amfew hours enough ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

This summer, will be having a new clapboard siding job on my house.
(Cedar siding will be coming pre-primed; oil)

Painting it will be two coats of Latex.

Question: How long between the first and second paint coat should one
wait ?
Amfew hours enough ?

Thanks,
B.

Assuming perfect conditions (a little breeze, low humidity, and temperature
at least 10 degrees higher than the paint manufacturer suggests), you'll
wait as long as the instructions say, plus 50%. So, if it says "12 hours
before second coat", you'll wait at least 18 hours. After the second coat,
you'll assume the paint will need twice the recommended drying time.

Paint cans are full of lies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

This summer, will be having a new clapboard siding job on my house.
(Cedar siding will be coming pre-primed; oil)

Painting it will be two coats of Latex.

Question: How long between the first and second paint coat should one
wait ?
Amfew hours enough ?

If you go around the house and get back tot he starting point in a few
hours, it must be a very small house. I'd go with the minimum recommended
by the manufacturer, plus a few hours.

Or, follow the practice of my neighbor up the street. He primed the bars
spots on his house in 2005 and has not put the finish on yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 12:51 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

. ..

Hello:

This summer, will be having a new clapboard siding job on my house.
(Cedar siding will be coming pre-primed; oil)

Painting it will be two coats of Latex.

Question: How long between the first and second paint coat should one
wait ?
Amfew hours enough ?

If you go around the house and get back tot he starting point in a few
hours, it must be a very small house. I'd go with the minimum recommended
by the manufacturer, plus a few hours.

Or, follow the practice of my neighbor up the street. He primed the bars
spots on his house in 2005 and has not put the finish on yet.

Why oh why would you want to start painting? In the best of times you
might get ten or 13 years out of the paint. If it starts to peel you
need to scrape, then you have high and low spots where some paint came
off and not in others. Since you are starting with pre prime why not
just use latex stain? Never peel, flake or need scraping. But on 1
coat assuming you can get the color you want. Wait a few years then
start adding another coat of stain to one side a year to reduce your
work load.

Dave Scudamore
Aroundtoit Handyman