Posted to alt.home.repair

Default laying marble flloor tile

Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering using
marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was wondering if
it is the same procedure. Do i need different thinset? Is staggering tiles a
nice effect or does it just mean more cuts?
Any advice appreciated.
Regards,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering using
marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was wondering
if it is the same procedure. Do i need different thinset? Is staggering
tiles a nice effect or does it just mean more cuts?
Any advice appreciated.
Regards,
Steve

No expert, just did a few marble jobs. Procedure pretty much the same. Don't
use the gray thinset, as I found from this group, as it bleed through the
marble - use the white thinset for marble. Staggering in a straight row
shouldn't have that much more cuts. Shouldn't even be an issue if you have a
10" wet saw. If your marble is larger than your previous ceramic than its
more critical to get the floor flat and even. I think 12" x 12" should be as
large of a tile you should do until you do a few more projects. I'm doing
some large slabs and have a Hilti 14" walk behind saw on back order. Hope I
don't butcher the project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve,

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article , sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com
says...

Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering using
marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was wondering if
it is the same procedure. Do i need different thinset? Is staggering tiles a
nice effect or does it just mean more cuts?

I just did my bathroom with 12 x 12 marble tiles at 1/8" spacing. There is
special marble thinset. Most marble is set with very thin grout lines and
matching grout to achive a continuous look. Since the tiles also have no
beveled edges, lippage is a real concern. I found it helps to set several tiles
at once, 4 in a square works good to start, so you can level across all of them
at one time.

If this is for a bathroom consider a heated floor system, I used Sun Touch from
Lowes and really love the gentle warmth on my feet.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
| Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering
using
| marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was
wondering if
| it is the same procedure.

pretty much....yes ...........same procedures
tile is tile.

Do i need different thinset?

white thinset for granite.......NOT GREY

Is staggering tiles a nice effect

"subway tile" style is fine if that is the look you want (looks like
bricklay).

does it just mean more cuts?

same amount of cuts

now.........diagonal staggered grout joints is more cuts and looks
awesome.

| Any advice appreciated.
| Regards,
| Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

What would you suggest for a threshold for marble meeting an oak floor. I
checked out home depot and found some oak trim that would work but it is
only 3/8" thick and i need at least 3/4".
thanks

"3G" wrote in message ...

"steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
| Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering
using
| marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was
wondering if
| it is the same procedure.

pretty much....yes ...........same procedures
tile is tile.

Do i need different thinset?

white thinset for granite.......NOT GREY

Is staggering tiles a nice effect

"subway tile" style is fine if that is the look you want (looks like
bricklay).

does it just mean more cuts?

same amount of cuts

now.........diagonal staggered grout joints is more cuts and looks
awesome.

| Any advice appreciated.
| Regards,
| Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
| What would you suggest for a threshold for marble meeting an oak
floor. I
| checked out home depot and found some oak trim that would work but it
is
| only 3/8" thick and i need at least 3/4".
| thanks

install a strip of 1/2 in. plywood in door way
then lay the threshhold on it.
making the height 7/8 in. +/- thick

| "3G" wrote in message
|
| "steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
| | Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was
considering
| using
| | marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was
| wondering if
| | it is the same procedure.
|
| pretty much....yes ...........same procedures
| tile is tile.
|

| Do i need different thinset?
|
| white thinset for granite.......NOT GREY
|

| Is staggering tiles a nice effect
|
| "subway tile" style is fine if that is the look you want (looks like
| bricklay).
|

| does it just mean more cuts?
|
| same amount of cuts
|
| now.........diagonal staggered grout joints is more cuts and looks
| awesome.
|

| | Any advice appreciated.
| | Regards,
| | Steve
| |
| |

Tile over Marble? Joey T Home Repair 3 July 24th 06 08:00 PM
Laying marble tiles on floor Apropos Home Repair 2 February 13th 06 08:36 PM
How do you polish marble tile? PaPaPeng Home Repair 7 October 17th 04 12:53 PM
What's the diff between marble tile and marble w/ resin tile? Miki Kanazawa Home Repair 1 September 9th 04 11:56 PM
Polish marble and tile David L Jung Home Repair 0 April 24th 04 12:09 AM