Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile over Marble?

I have a Fireplace Hearth with marble. Can I put ceramic tile over top of
the marble?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joey T" wrote in message
I have a Fireplace Hearth with marble. Can I put ceramic tile over top of
the marble?

No, Martha Stewart will be PO'd if you cover the marble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes you can but you must prep the Marble first to accept the adhesive.
I would use adheasive instead of thinset simply for bonding reasons I
believe the adheasive would make a better bond witht the marble
surface. Ofcourse if the fireplace is used I would be sure to check the
manufactures comments on heat. If you go with a cement product
(thinset) I would strongly suggest after etching the marble surface
applying a bonding agent to the marble priror to putting it on. This
product can be obtained at any Lowes or Home Depot and is generally
refered to as "concrete bonding adheasive" it looks and smells exactly
like elmers glue. Keep in mind if you do not etch (scratch) that
surface espically with the heat of the fireplace you will have bonding
issues.