Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Default Laying marble tiles on floor

I have some marble tiles I wish to put on a floor. I have been informed these
should be laid with "NO" grout joint at all.

QUESTION - do you really lay them with ZERO gap between the tiles, literally, or
lay them with MINIMAL gap (and space with something like a toothpick)?

I then understand one grouts with non-sanded grout.

Any hints for this would be much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Newfie

I have always laid Marble tiles with minimal gap. You want your floor
to look natural as if it is one piece of Marble. I now do it by eye
but did use finishing nails when I started. A little secret of mine
with the grout is to use non-sanded and to use two different colors.
Use the color you prefer (Grout A) and fill in all the seams, then take
another color (Grout B), one that matches the feather detail in the
Marble and go over the grout lines in places where you see that the
grout line has caused a break in the flow of the grain from one tile to
another. I usually just remove some of grout A from the seam and fill
in with some of grout B. I think it makes a big difference. Try it,
you have nothing to loose, you will see the effects before the grout
dries - if you like it keep it - if not put grout A back in.

I have also sprinkled some of another color of grout over grout that
was in a seam and not yet dry. It gives the grout line a faux paint
look - it turns out nice also.

Good Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Thanks! I was getting ready to lay them and thought that laying them with
*NO* gap might be terribly unforgiving of mistakes. I will try the finish
nails idea (I was thinking toothpicks but the nails will be easier to get
out if they get stuck and won't compress). What do you suggest? 4dd? I'm
not to the level of using my eye just yet

Thanks for the grout ideas. I like them and will try it.

ups.com...