Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI plug

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

The electrical code will tell you. Some house installations
do and others may not comply with the current code. Your
municipal building permits office can tell you:
1) What the current code requires for bathroom outlets
2) Whether the code is retroactively enforced or not.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

Hi,
Plug is male part, LOL. Anyhow a GFCI outlet can take care of several
regular outlet down stream. Even if it is regular outlet, it may be
covered by another GFCI one upstream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

Hi,
Plug is male part, LOL. Anyhow a GFCI outlet can take care of several
regular outlet down stream. Even if it is regular outlet, it may be
covered by another GFCI one upstream.

or even in the panel. both my bathroom outlets are covered at the panel,
and have standard outlets in the bathroom

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 12, 9:46 am, "car crash" wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

It *should* be a GFCI by current code, but if it is older construction
it may not have been required at the time of installation. If that
bothers you, it's an easy retrofit.

Also, you may have a GFCI breaker in the panel rather than a GFCI
outlet.

good luck

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-12, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Speaking of those testers, what happens if you press the GFI test button
when the tester is plugged into a non-GFI outlet? From what I can tell
with my multimeter, the connection it makes to ground for the test is
through a high enough resistance that it should not draw much current,
so I expect it is safe, but with electrical things, it's always best to
ask first!
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I had the same question, I answered it by trying it. It does nothing.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-12, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Speaking of those testers, what happens if you press the GFI test button
when the tester is plugged into a non-GFI outlet? From what I can tell
with my multimeter, the connection it makes to ground for the test is
through a high enough resistance that it should not draw much current,
so I expect it is safe, but with electrical things, it's always best to
ask first!

You are correct, the current drawn by the tester is only about 10
milliamps or so.

I've "tested" for GFCI presence simply by sticking the leads of a 10K
ohm 2 watt carbon resistor into the hot and ground holes on a receptical.

That's not an official recommendation guys, use at your own risk.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 8:35 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

You can also do this if you don't have a tester:

1) Unzip your fly
2) Pull out your junk
3) Go wee wee into the outlet
4) If it is FDIC protected, then it will trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

You can also do this if you don't have a tester:

1) Unzip your fly
2) Pull out your junk
3) Go wee wee into the outlet
4) If it is FDIC protected, then it will trip.

But only the first $100,000 per account.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:26:24 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

On 2007-04-12, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Speaking of those testers, what happens if you press the GFI test button
when the tester is plugged into a non-GFI outlet? From what I can tell
with my multimeter, the connection it makes to ground for the test is
through a high enough resistance that it should not draw much current,
so I expect it is safe, but with electrical things, it's always best to
ask first!

You are correct, the current drawn by the tester is only about 10
milliamps or so.

I've "tested" for GFCI presence simply by sticking the leads of a 10K
ohm 2 watt carbon resistor into the hot and ground holes on a receptical.

Of course you do need a good ground.

That's not an official recommendation guys, use at your own risk.

Jeff

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it
pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI
protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

You can also do this if you don't have a tester:

1) Unzip your fly
2) Pull out your junk
3) Go wee wee into the outlet

Hold onto the sink faucet while you do that (you do need a ground).

4) If it is FDIC protected, then it will trip.

Note that the FDIC protects outlets only if you keep your money in
there :-)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 12 Apr 2007 06:46:46 -0700, "car crash"
wrote:

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

This is the second initial post I've read today where sxomeone calls a
socket a plug. A plug has prongs or some male feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

This is the second initial post I've read today where sxomeone calls a
socket a plug.

People generally imitate each other without really thinking.

I've known that a plug is a MALE connector for a long time. I've heard
a lot of people say "plug" for the female things for just as long.

A plug has prongs or some male feature.

Some people do get their sex mixed up :-)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:10:47 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

This is the second initial post I've read today where sxomeone calls a
socket a plug.

People generally imitate each other without really thinking.

I've known that a plug is a MALE connector for a long time. I've heard
a lot of people say "plug" for the female things for just as long.

Wow. I wonder if they can manage to have children. My grandmother
had a 6 foot electric cord with plugs on both ends. I don't know why.
But she had three children so at least she knew that part.

A plug has prongs or some male feature.

Some people do get their sex mixed up :-)
--
Mark Lloyd

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there
is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear
to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an
outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

This is the second initial post I've read today where sxomeone calls a
socket a plug.

People generally imitate each other without really thinking.

I've known that a plug is a MALE connector for a long time. I've heard
a lot of people say "plug" for the female things for just as long.

Wow. I wonder if they can manage to have children. My grandmother
had a 6 foot electric cord with plugs on both ends. I don't know why.
But she had three children so at least she knew that part.

Last November, I knew of a neighbor who made a male-male adapter
(short cord with plugs on both ends) for use with holiday lights.

BTW, at least one of his kids does play on the roof sometimes.

A plug has prongs or some male feature.

Some people do get their sex mixed up :-)
--
Mark Lloyd

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Smith wrote:
On 2007-04-12, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Any time you use a Wigginton type solenoid tester on an electrical
circuit you are drawing around ten milliamperes of current. Those are
required equipment for electricians working for unionized shops nation
wide. The test button on the GFCI tester draws very nearly the same
current. Either one will trip a GFCI. Applying ten milliamperes of
current to the Equipment Grounding Conductor will do no harm.
--
Tom Horne